• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What headers are you running

Tbone416

Reaction score
Here the thing I have a 72 challenger I have been working on for a while. It is a 340 /4 speed car. Now it's a 416/4 speed. My question is what headers clear power steering-mini starter-z bar and ground Clarence.

fasjac

Reaction score
I’d call TTI. I’m running a set on a BB without any issues. Also, hear good stuff about Doug’s. I’m sure someone will chime in with a SB. Good luck to you.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I used Hedman ceramic coated. I liked the cost compared to TTI, but as I understand, the installation is a little more fussy. If you can find the ones that are sleeved together, which I believe TTI are, I would suggest spending more for them if you can.

heminut

Reaction score
I have a Gen III hemi in my Cuda with TTI headers. I've used a lot of different headers over the years in different cars and these TTI's are the best I've ever owned.

rogue

Reaction score
TTI... they have the ones where you don't need to drop the center link to install

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
Small block engine/727 trans: I've used Hooker 5115 (ceramic coated.. since my install back in 1986)... and they still look good! They clear the mini starter and the longer steering arms for my T/A fast-ratio Pitman arm, as well as the longer C-body idler arm (aka fast-ratio idler arm.. with just a small clearance dimple needed on one tube.. and if needed a slight filing-down of the idler arm upper radius at that possible contact point.. no big deal).

BUT... I later (many years later) observed that the flange/port openings of these Hookers do NOT match the gasket ports (at the heads) as they should... resulting in exhaust gas escape... resolved by using hi-temp JBWELD epoxy around the header's flange port openings, rasp filing smooth, etc... so to create an extended flat flange that seals the gasket properly. The welded beads of the Hookers at that area are not properly shaped... about 90% OK.. should be 100%.

Ground clearance is OK... even with my lowered car, but still... it will eventually make some ground contact and scrape the lowest tubes.

I'm desiring to get new headers... would like TTi's for their claimed best fit, but... I cannot get anyone to answer me ... not even TTi .. IF they will clear the longer steering arms of T/A Fast Ratio Pitman arm, and the longer C-body (aka fast-ratio) idler arm. You would think that TTi would have an answer to this... seemed to me that they weren't interested when I called them (gave me a poor impression of their service).

One thing that also concerns me about the TTi headers, is that they say in their installation instructions that (for auto-trans cars), the shift lever rod has to be turned up-side-down... that then makes it likely to be hitting the floor board, especially when the engine is torqueing... any comments on that matter?

70chall440

Reaction score
I have the fast ratio pitman and idler arms on my Cuda and the headers clear fine. I cannot speak to AT shift lever question.

rikkitik

Reaction score
American Racing. A bit pricey (usually not sold a actual msrp$ though), but VERY nice.
Multi-piece, so, easy to install. NO clearance issues, denting, "fitting" etc. Individual port flanges. Plus, the multi-piece design allows for a MUCH better bend off of the exhaust port. Stainless Steel. And, a biggy for me, only 5" difference between shortest/longest tubes. I measured 15 inches plus tube length variation on TTI's.

70chall440

Reaction score
I will say that I am working on a 70 B body with a 440 and Hooker Comp headers and they SUCK!!!!! I know you are asking about a SB E body but I just needed to vent a bit...

70chall440

Reaction score
I just got done putting new header gaskets in this 440 with Hooker comps and I probably over reacted some but they are super tight. I have had Dougs, Hooker, TTI, etc. and once again TTI for the win.

SDChallenger

Reaction score
Here the thing I have a 72 challenger I have been working on for a while. It is a 340 /4 speed car. Now it's a 416/4 speed. My question is what headers clear power steering-mini starter-z bar and ground Clarence.
Hey. You are running exactly the same setup as I am...a 72 Challenger, numbers matching Rallye, 340 4-speed stroked to a 416, w 6-pack, power steering, and mini-starter. I went w/ the TTI 340BE-C5 headers, and have a perfect fit.

Tbone416

Reaction score
Hey. You are running exactly the same setup as I am...a 72 Challenger, numbers matching Rallye, 340 4-speed stroked to a 416, w 6-pack, power steering, and mini-starter. I went w/ the TTI 340BE-C5 headers, and have a perfect fit.
No hammer tuning?

Tbone416

Reaction score
I wish I had a six pack
SDCHALLENGER
THANKS for the Info.
I would like to see a picture of your car.

Back