• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What is matching numbers worth?

Steve340

Reaction score
How much, if any, do you think a car with the original engine and transmission is worth over a car that they have gone?
I live in New Zealand were these things are not that important to most buyers.
However I am curious to find out if it would be a factor in the USA.
As a baseline assume we are not talking super original show car just a nice driver car that is basically original.

Wonder Woman

Reaction score
How much, if any, do you think a car with the original engine and transmission is worth over a car that they have gone?
I live in New Zealand were these things are not that important to most buyers.
However I am curious to find out if it would be a factor in the USA.
As a baseline assume we are not talking super original show car just a nice driver car that is basically original.

In some ways.
It doesn't make a difference.
A rare car to start with sure.
Example a Plain Jane 68 Chevy Biscane, probably wouldn't add a dime to value.

fasjac

Reaction score
I would assume your speaking of an E Body (any mopar muscle car) It’s a pretty big factor in the states and anywhere. Especially with the vin plate and build sheet. They are getting really hard to find anyway. A car that’s highly desirable will sell or bought for a premium. So, my answer is quite a bit
more. If I may ask, what car/s and options are you wondering about?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I agree with Wonder Woman. The larger the factory engine, the more value is affected by numbers matching, fender tag, broadcast sheet and other original paperwork.

Steve340

Reaction score
I was mostly asking about an E or B body and with no particular car or options in mind.
Just trying to get a feel for if or how much buyers would value the original engine.
I know it would make a difference to a rare Hemi convertible or a car along those lines.
I have seen a number of cars advertised were the owner will say "very original" and then go on to say how the engine, trans is date coded or not the original engine/trans at all.
I wondered if this made a difference to the sale price and from your comments it may well do.

fasjac

Reaction score
IMO it would have very positive $$$$ for the highly sought after E and B bodies. I’m with you though. I built a 73 cuda big block six pack. I probably have 60k in the car. We all know those options weren’t available in 73. And would be hard pressed to get close to that money from a sale. So, if it’s the matching 340 block ( still looking for it) and trans with the build sheet, both ways the cars bring about the same money restored. JMO

340challconvert

Reaction score
Just my thoughts;
Original cars hold a premium to non-matching; especially with more rare examples (6pks, hemi's, TA's, AAR's) The top prices are paid for by collectors. General enthusiasts, I think matching is desired, but not always demanded.
Big blocks seem to get higher prices then say 340 cars.
With e bodies, the 70 and 71 get a higher price then the later cars. 71 Cudas seem to attract more attention and higher prices in some cases.
I have seen decent Challengers (driver quality) sell in the mid-high $20K to about $40-45K. Of course the rarer models get more money even in "restore able form"
In watching the auction action; restored non-matching 440, 440-6 and hemi cars are getting good money; in some cases $60k to over $100k- sometimes more, sometimes less. Matching cars exceed these numbers significantly.
In summary; matching numbers are always more valuable, generally speaking, but not important to everyone.
As I started out; Just my thoughts.
Dino2 (2).gif

Steve340

Reaction score
Thanks all for your thoughts - the idea was just see how people felt on the subject.

djais1801

Reaction score
agree with all above...another factor in pricing/value is color combo and 4spd vs. auto...I saw BJ cars firsthand and the pricing seemed realtime to current value (before the buyer/seller premiums). once the premiums were added they were out of reach.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
5 to 10K increase in value.
Generally speaking.
And that's the crowd that is after "original" cars.
Pro mod cars or those who just want a good driver usually could care less and will yank the original motors and get rid of them.

ctaarman

Reaction score
Based on my observations: For 1970-71 340, 383. 440 cars that are relatively factory correct (same engine, but non-matching #) factor at least -10% of the car's value, for cars otherwise in identical condition. For 340-6, 440-6 and 426 the NOM penalty can be much more depending on rarity of the car, with the most $ penalty for 426 Hemi cars, as they were a relative rarity by themselves.

Robert Franke

Reaction score
Original engine..there are no serial #s to match to the car..if your going to keep it matching you need correct casting #s for a replacement

volunteer

Reaction score
Some (A, B or E-body) cars are just destined to be collectable. There were over 50K. Challengers built in 1970 and even a (clean, dry) slant-six model will bring in a good price. Of course it helps to have build/broadcast sheet. If car came with 'open-style' rear, adding a sure-grip only an improvement. Replacing original 340 with a 440 may be an improvement to the (current) owner, but not to the next owner. Putting a six-pack setup on to replace original 4 Bbl. will not necessarily up the resale value. Yes, it's pretty cool but best advice I have is to save all original items you remove - especially intake and exhaust manifolds. Next owner may want these items and try to 'low-ball' you if you threw them away. One particular E-body that is very hard to find (as matching-numbers) is the 1974 CUDA (360) - especially the D21 (4-spd.). Less than 1200 total produced and Challengers very low also. Should also mention that a BARRACUDA (360) even rarer, with only 125 units 'shipped' - both manual or auto. If you are lucky enough to find one of these (-74's), hopefully there is a tag and b-sheet. Too many E-bodies are becoming 'resto-mods' but difficult to get out what you put in.
In BC, vehicles older than 25 years qualify for 'collector status' - with insurance rates being about one-half of regular. 1974 or earlier can be 'modified' with intake, carb, headers, body colour and wheels - among other items. I have never been supportive of this.
P.S. I am still seeking (chrome-only) rear bumperettes for '73 or '74 Challenger. :)

ProHemi572

Reaction score
5 to 10K increase in value.
Generally speaking.
And that's the crowd that is after "original" cars.
Pro mod cars or those who just want a good driver usually could care less and will yank the original motors and get rid of them.

Amen to that! So true & in ‘the eyes of the beholder’ as they say, for sure!
Stuff like 440 6-Packs & Hemi’s do, of course, have that certain WOW factor when you open the hood & do command some more $$$$$$ as we all know & have learned to live with.....kinda. What’s money though, right???
I mean all my life’s 401k savings (almost!) was just lost in the freakin’ market downfall. I coulda bought some really good MOPAR stuff instead of just throwing the $$$$$$$ out the window!

Last edited:
Back