• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What manufacturer of paint

CUDA71383

Reaction score
Good day, I'm about to paint my 71 cuda but I'm contemplating what manufacturer of paint do I use? Thought I'd ask the group what their experiences are, so any ideas. I appreciate any thoughts on this.

Its going hemi orange...

Steve340

Reaction score
Ok one thing I was told by a painter - use all your products from the same paint system.
I believe most of the big companies make a good product.

moparroy

Reaction score
What brand do you use on the trucks? do they have the color you are looking for? If that's what your guys are used to, that's what I would go with.
The only bad wrap I got when I was looking for a painter was that no one liked using PPG Omni brand - but I have had good results with it on some panel paint jobs DIY and some small parts I did after the car was done. Painter used a Sikkens base and not sure which clear - it was a water bourne base too cause that's what he was used to

Adam

Reaction score
I have never used water based paint so I don’t know jack about that; but, if you are using a base coat/clear coat system I really like SPI (Southern Polyurethane Inc.) Clear coat. It is easy to spray, very forgiving, and lays down great. I have used it over a variety of base colors without any issues. Matrix is inexpensive and easy…

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Body and paint is like an education.What you put in you get out of it.I myself don't like the water born paint.Just look at all the examples going down the road.The proof is in the pudding I mean paint. I use Omni and you get what you pay for. takes more coats to cover.Not that I'm an expert.I have worked in a body shop and mixed paint in the 70's.Knowing a number painters over the decades. They owed there own shop or worked at a dealer.There are different animal's in paint they all have there own different characteristics.Who ever paints you car let them choose that the are comfortable with.One of the biggest thing is that you use a sealer use all your products from the same paint system if possible.As some said.It still amazes me when an old enamel paint job is cut and buffed. almost looks like new. I now get my enamel paint from TCP Global. Can't find it in this area. It's not like the old enamel but not bad. It seem to separate kind of quick when mixing. One order I received was damaged. called them the shipped a replacement that day. Video,Paint mixed 4-5 minutes be sure to keep mixed.

HEMI ORANGE 2186.jpg

Bug Guy

Reaction score
Are you going to get single stage or base coat/clear ? Use what your painter or you like to paint, But don’t be cheap with it base coat is about the same price for all, it’s the clear spend good money for it because it’s going to perform better in the long term . The paint is the finishing touch to all the hard work you have done! PPG,Axzalta (DuPont) Sikkins Matrex Val Spar Are all good products .What’s the brand you paint the trucks with? I would use that ?

moparlee

Reaction score
Are you going to get single stage or base coat/clear ? Use what your painter or you like to paint, But don’t be cheap with it base coat is about the same price for all, it’s the clear spend good money for it because it’s going to perform better in the long term . The paint is the finishing touch to all the hard work you have done! PPG,Axzalta (DuPont) Sikkins Matrex Val Spar Are all good products .What’s the brand you paint the trucks with? I would use that ?
I would add to the list Glasurit by BASF. Excellent paint.

moparroy

Reaction score
I myself don't like the water born paint.Just look at all the examples going down the road.The proof is in the pudding I mean paint.
Water borne is definitely different to work with. Proper paint booth a must - down draft preferred I believe - it take hours to dry vs minutes with solvent. Painter told me my Cuda was in the booth pretty much a full day from the first base coat to the last clear.
Not sure how you can bash water borne results - my understanding is pretty much all production for the last 15 - 20 years has been on water borne base coat for environmental requirements. I'd say I saw more issues with the early solvent base clear paints in the 80s.
But agreed I would not use water borne at home.

CUDA71383

Reaction score
Ya we use dupont iron, the best way to describe
And I joke with the painters about their custom " orange peel" they laugh as well because it is a heavy duty paint to take the beating of the highway. I'd love to get some glasirut paint or an old sikkins but we don't see it anymore

CUDA71383

Reaction score
Iron sorry for the mis spell---ill look for the glasurit! And like you guys say its what the painter is comfortable with thanks!

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Water borne is definitely different to work with. Proper paint booth a must - down draft preferred I believe - it take hours to dry vs minutes with solvent. Painter told me my Cuda was in the booth pretty much a full day from the first base coat to the last clear.
Not sure how you can bash water borne results - my understanding is pretty much all production for the last 15 - 20 years has been on water borne base coat for environmental requirements. I'd say I saw more issues with the early solvent base clear paints in the 80s.
But agreed I would not use water borne at home.
That's more the issue. ease of use with out a great expense and not as forgiving. Had and seen a number of cars with factory paint issues.recalls and pealing top coat. I understand environmental requirements can be difficult to be met.I'm just here to share my opinion.Thanks for you input.

Reaction score
I like PPG products myself, DBC line, i start out with the DP40, which you can put filler right on the top of, then K36 filler primer, then the DBC and 2024 clear, my friend likes the glasurit, paint supplies are spendy!! If you do it yourself don't let people talk you into the cheaper lines, like omni or shop line, i have tried them and they are not the same thing, they cover way less and end up costing you the same in the end
IMG_20200119_200902467.jpg

Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score
Matrix base coat and SPI clear; this is as sprayed, no cutting or buffing.

ACC714CE-DAEE-4249-8F3E-55BE979EB0E8.jpeg
2BA39BBB-1D13-4D40-AA7B-1ED7D880A007.jpeg

70cudas

Reaction score
Good day, I'm about to paint my 71 cuda but I'm contemplating what manufacturer of paint do I use? Thought I'd ask the group what their experiences are, so any ideas. I appreciate any thoughts on this.

Its going hemi orange...
for factory original color PPG brand. its the only brand that was original equipment on those cars and the codes are shown in the mopar manuals. all the others look a bit different in the same color. dupont is another good one. most of the others dont have the heavy pigmentation these brands do thats why you get what you pay for.

Back