• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What you think ????

Mooney574

Reaction score
My 71 challenger is currently black. The original color is GY9 dark gold. Someone before me took off vinyl top. So I was thinking of going back original paint with gator grain top....any thoughts. Here's a pic of GY9 and my car

5388197-IMG_74.jpg

20210709_213338.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
I have always liked the GY9 color, just don't see very many of them.
In my opinion, I like it better with a black vinyl top though.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
That's a tough call! All those mopar colors are just great. the high impacts are loud and proud and stand out in a crowd. the others are subtle with style.Black is never out of style. I like my B5 challenger. it looks cool.The black just looks mean,lean and clean.

70chall440

Reaction score
First off, its your car so you should have it as you like it. My "litmus" test is whether it makes me smile every time I look at it, if not then its time for a change.

That said (and since you asked), I have never been a fan of black cars although I have had a couple. I personally think that a GY9 with black gator grain top would be awesome and unique and would certainly stand out.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
My vote is GY9 and V1G.
Now I have to add that your car looks awesome right now in black. Difficult for me to commit an entire paint job just for a color change. Black gets old though. GY9.

Cojohnso

Reaction score
I'm not sure the value is there for the expense? (Unless you yourself is a paint man?) Personally? I wouldn't. I am very capable of screwing up something that doesn't need fixing? But that's me. If you are one that needs to tinker? And have the skillset? Back to original is rarely a bad decision.

heminut

Reaction score
I love the GY9 dark gold but for me, black is always king of the hill! If I had your Challenger I would not change it, but as 70Chall440 said, it's your car and ultimately you need to do what makes you the happiest.

I have a 2007 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic that I bought new that is all black. I also had a 2012 Ram 1500 that was black, but when we got a 5th wheel RV I had to trade it off for a bigger Ram diesel. I hated getting rid of that truck! For me black is beautiful, but the body has to be damn straight or it will show every imperfection. Black is also a ***** to keep clean!

Steve340

Reaction score
If the paint is good I would probably just leave it alone. A flip open gas cap and some shiny stuff would lift your car and may be enough to suppress the bug for a while. Maybe a change of wheels????
If it needs painting I would go original.
The original paint car in your initial post looks stunning. I love it.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
Tough call. I like both colors. I would leave it though. Nothing tougher than black.

budascuda

Reaction score
Black is for funerals,I deplore black!
Why be mean and nasty when one can be happy and jovial? How about a butter scotch?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It looks great in black without the vinyl to me so if the paint is good I would leave it alone .

jimynick

Reaction score
I've got a black Challenger of my own, but then it came as a black car; but I like the gold with a black vinyl roof. However, as said, unless you're rolling in dough or are self capable, I'd wait until the car needed to be painted first.

Back