• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What's it worth?

Jerry Ikemire

Reaction score
I have a '73 Challenger. Bought it 3 years ago and really haven't had time to work on it...need to get it out of my way! I'll post pictures later. It came with 318/904. It's an A/C car. I have boxes and boxes of parts. Bundles of chrome trim. It is complete except for front and back windshields and gas tank/filler neck and cap. The body is 80-85% finished...nothing major left. I bought a '69 casting 383/727 to put in it. The engine is still at the builder's waiting for me to give the nod on the dyno. It was bored 0.20 over plus some other goodies. On paper it should put out 425-450 hp. Where do I stand to recover the most of my money? Sell as package deal? Sell original 318 car and sell 383/727 separately? I've got some big money in the 383.

TIA for your thoughts!

Jerry Ikemire

Reaction score
Here's some pictures.

Attachments

• 20190711_160719.jpg
    20190711_160719.jpg
    850.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 20190711_160730.jpg
    20190711_160730.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 118
  • 20190711_160753.jpg
    20190711_160753.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 116
  • 20190711_160820.jpg
    20190711_160820.jpg
    903.1 KB · Views: 109

70chall440

Reaction score
There are so many variables that it is very difficult to put a value on something online. Pictures never tell the entire story and location has a huge impact on value not to mention actual parts/pieces and documentation (no title = lower price). 72-74 E body values are rising along with many of the lesser desirable models (late A and B bodies) so its a bit hard to put a value on it. The nice thing with E bodies is that the entire line (70-74) shares the body lines which is the main attraction.

Look, you know what you are into the car for so I am pretty sure you have an idea what you need out of it. The question is how long do you want to sit on it to move it. The previously offered value of $12-18K is pretty strong IMO, I would be more inclined to say $6-10K depending on a lot of things. I recently bought a 71 Charger with a 383, 4spd and piles of parts for less than $5K, but this was being in the right place at the right time with cash.

Let's go about this a little differently, what do you think you want out of the car and/or parts?

Jerry Ikemire

Reaction score
There are so many variables that it is very difficult to put a value on something online. Pictures never tell the entire story and location has a huge impact on value not to mention actual parts/pieces and documentation (no title = lower price). 72-74 E body values are rising along with many of the lesser desirable models (late A and B bodies) so its a bit hard to put a value on it. The nice thing with E bodies is that the entire line (70-74) shares the body lines which is the main attraction.

Look, you know what you are into the car for so I am pretty sure you have an idea what you need out of it. The question is how long do you want to sit on it to move it. The previously offered value of $12-18K is pretty strong IMO, I would be more inclined to say $6-10K depending on a lot of things. I recently bought a 71 Charger with a 383, 4spd and piles of parts for less than $5K, but this was being in the right place at the right time with cash.

Let's go about this a little differently, what do you think you want out of the car and/or parts?
I've got 10,900 into it. I know I will never get that back right now. But it is really in my way...I need the space!!! I should just post it for sale and let it happen. I'm 60 miles west of Chicago to a transport wouldn't be an issue if somebody needed it. Guess I'll lay out all the parts and add more pictures too.

70chall440

Reaction score
I think you have a good understanding of what you need or will take. That said, don't short change yourself and what you have. I don't think you are going to make bank on it but if you market it well (all the Mopar forums, Craigslist, etc.) and develop the right mindset which should be "you have had it this long and unless there is something more pressing that its just taking up space, it can stay awhile longer" you should be able to move it.

I have bought and sold a lot of cars in my time (well over 100) and the best buys I have made were cars whose owners "just wanted them gone". Same thing with cars I have sold, once I decided to sell and want it gone, I took far less than I should have. The best sales I have made is when I was not in a hurry and held fast to what I knew it was worth (so long as it is not crazy). I usually start highish and then negotiate down.

convdart440

Reaction score
It is a basic equation of time vs money. You could put in the time to get what you have put together and running which will always sell for more then a non running car, or put in the time to sell the parts on line swap meets etc and would get a good return money wise. Third option which is the get it gone state of mind which you might get 50% of what your out of pocket. You could try selling it on line as a package deal minus the 383. keep the engine unless you find someone who would pay at least 75% of what receipts total from machine shop/builder. Their are way to many variables to throw a value because someone might buy it to restore or part out and keep what his car needs and sell the rest. to restore that car could be 35-50k or more so the buy it now price I would say 6250- 8100. just throwing my thoughts your way. think on this if you sell it can you replace it for what you might get for it?

Back