• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Which Radiator???

SFEbody

Reaction score
Ok so if you followed my restoration thread, you will know that I have been slowly restoring a 70 Challenger /6 three speed on the floor, is now painted and I am putting back together. I need help with the fact that I bought a 26" radiator for a 70-440 manual. My body shop says ( and have not looked at it) that a 26" won't fit, it needs a 22" but that is what the /6 had. Did they use different radiator and core supports with the different engines? and if so whats the easiest way to have a 26" in?

Thanks for any assistance.

Brian

DrEamer

Reaction score
Yes, they had different radiators and core supports depending on the engine. The main difference is the opening for the bigger 26 inch unit. There is a piece available to enlarge the opening, but if you already have it painted you are going to have to redo it, or live with the 22". Below is a picture of the piece that I put on my car (circled). You might be able to use a 22" since you have a manual, but if you are going with A/C might need to rethink it.

Rad support.jpg

gzig5

Reaction score

This will work fine if you are still running the /6 motor and can live with the non-stock look of it. I wouldn't do that with a hot 440 because the airflow would be somewhat compromised. May not make the difference but hate to find out later. If you want it to look correct either change the support or get a smaller radiator.

I did the opposite of him. I've got a 22" where I should have a 26" and had to make extension brackets. I'd swap you but I need for an auto and shipping would make it pointless.

SFEbody

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help... guess a 22" is the answer for now since its painted. Will let everyone know how things go.

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
Well I've been running my 440 this way since I posted this thread and never had a cooling issue. This in central VA summers. At 70 mph or idle. Never had the gauge past half way. About 2.5 in of fins are blocked, but the air flows around the support through the blocked fins. Looks totally stock.

Back