• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Which way to go?

V12T

Reaction score
I have a never rebuilt, low compression 1976 440 in my 70 Challenger. It runs very well but I want to do justice to the car and rebuild it with at least the HP it should have had in 1970. I don't do burnouts, race or drag. I do very few street miles but I want some real power when I do floor it. Parts are very expensive for me in the UK due to shipping and taxes. I will get ally heads and roller cam and already have a six pack. I can't decide whether to stroke it with new crank, rods and pistons or just get some higher compression pistons and use the stock cast crank and rods. I know it's my decision but would welcome opinions.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Aside from the shipping weight the 512 ci 440 stroker kit from 440 Source is close to the same cost as rebuilding the stock parts , the benefit is you have all new parts & a steel not cast crank , other benefits include reducing the rotating weight by 7 lbs .
As for the heads aluminum is not always better , I have ported iron heads & when swapped with Eddy heads that I also ported the gain was 3 hp for example , this is where you need to spend your $$ wisely not just buy a lump of alum . I would look at Trick Flow as the best choice right now .

moparleo

Reaction score
I know that gasoline quality varies around the world. How good is the fuel in your area. That is another thing to consider.
I would also invest in a few books on B-RB engine building. There are a few good ones on Amazon as well as other sources.

fasjac

Reaction score
I have a never rebuilt, low compression 1976 440 in my 70 Challenger. It runs very well but I want to do justice to the car and rebuild it with at least the HP it should have had in 1970. I don't do burnouts, race or drag. I do very few street miles but I want some real power when I do floor it. Parts are very expensive for me in the UK due to shipping and taxes. I will get ally heads and roller cam and already have a six pack. I can't decide whether to stroke it with new crank, rods and pistons or just get some higher compression pistons and use the stock cast crank and rods. I know it's my decision but would welcome opinions.
I refreshed a low compression motor many years ago with a 509 MP purple shaft, iron 452 heads, single plane alloy intake, Holley 750 DP and headers. This build was a low budget torque producing fun engine with 4:10’s in the rear. And very respectful with 3:55’s. Just sharing what I did. Didn’t have the money to do more. For a lot more power, stroke it as Chryco mentioned. Good luck to you.

Back