• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Window Scratch/hazing and Cerium oxide

Reaction score
Any suggestions on cleaning the front windshield of my '73 Barracuda? Looking on the web I see multiple recommendations about using Cerium oxide? Looking for 'be aware' and product recommendations and approach to removing the 'stain'. Thanks advance. Appreciate the support.

IMG_3015.JPG

IMG_3016.JPG

Adam

Reaction score
The rule of thumb is if you can feel the scratch it is too deep. I tried the cerium oxide, and special pads to try to remove a very faint scratch on my windshield. It made no difference at all. I have also used it to try and polish a scratch out of some prescription Ray-Ban sunglasses, also no improvement. I would take it to a professional shop and get their opinion.. lastly, if the sunshade film inside the top of the windshield has turned from blue/green to brown I would just replace the glass.

AUSTA

Reaction score
The cerium will work it just takes a few hours but leaves a hazy area that is quite visible in the sun if it is a water stain CLR may work

Jimmyspeed59

Reaction score
I’ve used extra fine steel wool 0000#. It won’t take out scratches but will remove years of rain spots and haze.

douglas17

Reaction score
By the looks of your problem bite the bullet and buy a new windshield, you are only wasting your money and time trying to get it out. I worked with the cerium oxide for a whole weekend on some minor scratches, just wasted my time no improvement at all. Note the trying these suggested methods while the window is in the car can result in catastrophic results. The glass can over heat when buffing and shatter be careful. speaking from experience its not worth it. New glass is available from Auto Metal Direct and a few other parts suppliers I would check it out. Find yourself a auto glass installer thats been in business for a while, this is not a DYI project. just a 2 cent opinion from someone who,s been through the same situation.

Back