• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Wiper arms not parking

plymouth67

Reaction score
Years ago on a 70 Challenger I owned the wiper arms would not "park" under the hood, they would just go down to the top of the hood line but, not suck down under the hood. My buddies Dad cleaned a contact somewhere that fixed this. Fast forward almost 30 years and my 71 Challenger does the same thing. Anybody help me figure this out? I dont really want to tear the wiper motor apart unless i have a good idea how to fix this.

RJHJR

Reaction score
If I were a betting man I’d bet on a bad ground.
Clean the motor anchor nuts and studs.
Make sure the brass strap is ok and clean. The ground goes around the rubber isolators through it.

plymouth67

Reaction score
I will do that. I also wonder if its got a reversing 2spd motor on it or a non reversing. I will have to look.

70chall440

Reaction score
Yes, there is a contact inside of the wiper motor, you have to remove the cover to see it, looks like a set of points. This is usually the culprit for the wipers not parking.

57fury440

Reaction score
The motor on my '72 started doing that in the 80's. I drilled out the rivets and took it apart and cleaned the brass contacts inside. I replaced the rivets with small nuts and bolts. It has worked fine since. Like 70chall440 said that is usually the cause.

Adam

Reaction score
I believe there is a section in the 1971 service manual on how to troubleshoot this exact problem.

70chall440

Reaction score
Doesn't have to be a 73 unless you are looking up emissions stuff, get the closest year and you will be good. I have a 73 manual and I have compared it to my 70 Challenger manual, outside of Cuda specific stuff and perhaps the 360, they are pretty close; definitely close enough to get information.

Back