• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

WIRING GURUS - Left front signal not working - need help

hofilbert

Reaction score
OK. This is my second posting on this subject as the forum moderators accidentally deleted the entire subject instead of my duplicate message request. Anyway...
It is NOT the TURN SIGNAL SWITCH. I just replaced the switch with a new switch/harness. Not fun. Not hard, just not fun. The left front signal still does not flash when using the turn signal.

As a refresher: My left front does not flash. ALL other lights work and flash properly. Emergency flasher and turn signals work on 3 other lights. My left park light DOES work - not the left signal light. I installed new lamps in the signal housing (Even switched out the right lamp that does work and still nothing). I used a direct wire from the #13 firewall bulkhead connector position to the "+" on the battery and the turn signal lamp DOES light up. That SHOULD mean wiring under hood to lamp is good.

As I see it, possibly, the issue is in between the firewall bulkhead connector and the turn signal switch connector? Any suggestions to repair this? I'm open to suggestions.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Try on the other side of the plug inside the cabin it is either the steering plug or the firewall plug the front wires should be light green & tan going to the column
Does the dash turn indicator work

hofilbert

Reaction score
Oh, yes, I forgot to mention, yes the dash indicator flashes normally. However, when I remove the rear lamp bulb from the socket, the dash indicator just has a long slow soft glow only.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Use a volt meter & check for power start at the base of the column , check at the bulkhead the at the pigtail to the light , there has to be a problems with the connection somewhere

moparleo

Reaction score
You should clean all the bulk head connectors as a matter of good maintenance. Contact cleaner, scotch brite, small wire brush etc... and then pack connector with dielectric grease. All electrical connections and recheck all grounds.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Oh, yes, I forgot to mention, yes the dash indicator flashes normally. However, when I remove the rear lamp bulb from the socket, the dash indicator just has a long slow soft glow only.
The indicator only glows because when the rear bulb is removed there is not enough load to make the flasher can flash
It looks like the problem is at the bulk head connector pin 11&13 for the front as the dash indicators are connected directly to pin 11 & 13 light green & tan is for right and they work
The bulkhead connector has a habit of pushing the connector pin out the back of the socket if the pins are not aligned unclip the fuse holder assembly & check the tan wire is pushed into the plastic housing on the bulkhead connector when the engine side connector is plugged in

John Rimel

Reaction score
Could be the signal light is not grounded. Maybe grind away some of the undercoating

hofilbert

Reaction score
The above ground comment, should not be valid, since my left front turn signal lights up fine, when bypassed with lead to pin 13 and then "+" on battery.

hofilbert

Reaction score
bulkhead.jpg
I had a crazy day today, so I did not get a chance to pull the plug and investigate the bulkhead connector. Hopefully, tomorrow I can look into it. Thanks for all of your comments.

One more request... I have not pulled the bulkhead yet. But, in looking at this photo of #13 on an "online photo" I found (not mine), it appears the connector is a blade sliding into a slotted terminal on the firewall/inside connector. The blades would be easy to clean, but do you have any suggestions to clean the socket side in the slots?

Last edited:

AUSTA

Reaction score
Oh Nasty , your power in & ignition terminals look fried.
If you push a thin driver in & pull on the rear the wire & terminal will come out then you can dip it into a chemical cleaner or replace the bad connectors
There is probably a spray that will clean them i normally crimp on a new connector as once the wire has become hot & corroded the whole connection becomes unreliable.

moparlee

Reaction score
Oh Nasty , your power in & ignition terminals look fried.
If you push a thin driver in & pull on the rear the wire & terminal will come out then you can dip it into a chemical cleaner or replace the bad connectors
There is probably a spray that will clean them i normally crimp on a new connector as once the wire has become hot & corroded the whole connection becomes unreliable.
The picture is not of his terminal block. He said, an "online photo" I found (not mine).

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
with a small std scrwdrver you can depress the tab & pull the female connector out , then you can wire brush it

hofilbert

Reaction score
YEAH!!!! Problem solved.
Apparently I have been driving around with no left front turn signal since I bought the car in Oct.2016. How do I know this? Because after I removed the bulkhead connector, and I see my #13 left signal blade/pin is sitting 45 degrees in the connector. No one besides me has ever worked on my car, and I've never messed with any wiring whatsoever. Sometime, before I ever bought this car, the former owner installed it improperly and allowed 1 pin/blade to not install properly - no contact. So, I bent it back straight, aligned the bulkhead connector perpendicular before I pushed and reinstalled the connector. VOILA! I suddenly had a left turn signal. I cleaned and Diaelec. greased them before reinstalling.

Last edited:

moparlee

Reaction score
YEAH!!!! Problem solved.
Apparently I have been driving around with no left front turn signal since I bought the car in Oct.2016. How do I know this? Because after I removed the bulkhead connector, and I see my #13 left signal blade/pin is sitting 45 degrees in the connector. No one besides me has ever worked on my car, and I've never messed with any wiring whatsoever. Sometime, before I ever bought this car, the former owner installed it improperly and allowed 1 pin/blade to not install properly - no contact. So, I bent it back straight, aligned the bulkhead connector perpendicular before I pushed and reinstalled the connector. VOILA! I suddenly had a left turn signal. I cleaned and Diaelec. greased them before reinstalling.
Makes for a happy day!:thumbsup: :usflag:

Back