• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

WIRING HARNESS - DENSO ALTERNATOR CONVERSION

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
I plan to install the lighter weight Denso ~60 amp alternator into my 72 Challenger (actually, a 70 T/A clone done many years ago).. car used extensively for AX, HSAX and HPDE lapping events (plus local cruises... summer only).

Is there a a pre-made complete wiring harness available to replace the original factory harness? Car has factory electronic ignition (I've relocated the ECM -- chrome box -- under the dash by extending the wires).

Although I've recently purchased a new factory harness (not yet installed), I wonder about the Voltage Regulator... will that no longer be used (in other words... it can be removed since the Denso alternator has an "internal" voltage regulator? If that's the case then the wiring on the new harness is no longer needed for the Voltage Regulator.

Any advice very much appreciated, as well as other wiring harness revisions that would be needed to make the DENSO swap.

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
T/Anks to all for the response... the unit would be the 1-wire alternator (possibly complete from Manicini... unit, pigtail wire, brackets, pulley).

So, I presume I could remove the factory voltage regulator from the firewall?... and hide the wires that used to go there?

Back