• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Wiring problems.

bullet18

Reaction score
Im trying to get my stock harness to work and its not going well. First off whenever i turn the key the voltage regulator smokes and i can hear a realay click in the glove box. Nothing else happens. I think something is shorting because theres ate sparks when i hook up the ground lead. I also need to bypass the neutral starter switch because i dont have the trans plug. Does the trans ground the relay or charge it? I would buy a new harness but they're really expensive and i dont have that kinda money right now. All i need is for the lights starter and ignition to work for now. I also cant find the batt and acc wires for the fuse box so i dont know if that has anything to do with this. I have wiring diagrams so i know where everything is supposed to go but i dont know what i need to run it.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Didn’t you have it working in the past? Why am I thinking you’ve had the car out for at least a shakedown run? What do you mean you don’t have the trans plug? I have several of those harnesses if you’re missing it.

bullet18

Reaction score
Didn’t you have it working in the past? Why am I thinking you’ve had the car out for at least a shakedown run? What do you mean you don’t have the trans plug? I have several of those harnesses if you’re missing it.
Previously i started it using a homemade wiring harness, a starter button, and a switch. Im tying to start it with the factory harness now. I dont have the plug that connects to the transmission.

bullet18

Reaction score
Right now when I turn the key nothing happens. I used to have brake lights and turn signals even when the car was off . The voltage regulator burned so I had to get a new one. All I really need is turn signals and brake lights. I really don't want to make my own Dash harness from scratch but I will if I have to.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Sounds like your fried the fusible link it has a blue tag & is located on the starter relay next to the battery
If you replacing the regulator also check the alternator is not shorted also check the regulator has a good ground otherwise it will overcharge the battery
Was the battery put in in reverse

bullet18

Reaction score
Sounds like your fried the fusible link it has a blue tag & is located on the starter relay next to the battery
If you replacing the regulator also check the alternator is not shorted also check the regulator has a good ground otherwise it will overcharge the battery
Was the battery put in in reverse
I replaced it with a inline blade fuse and the 30 amp fuse i put in it blows every time i hook up the battery. I assume that means something is shorting?

bullet18

Reaction score
I just got brake lights back. I found one of the shorts. The harness might be salvageable after all. I dont have left turn signals anymore for some reason. When i turn the key to the ignition position the key-in buzzer clicks and nothing else happens. Nothing happens when i go to stsrt it either.

bullet18

Reaction score
The neutral safety switch clicks when i turn the key to the start position but still nothing happens with the starter. I have the terminal for the wire that goes to the transmission grounded just to get it stsrted. Is thst right or do i need to give that terminal 12v?

AUSTA

Reaction score
When you turn the key 1 side of the coil gets 12v other other side goes to ground through the neutral switch
Have you checked the connectors that come from the steering column some times the wires pull out

bullet18

Reaction score
When you turn the key 1 side of the coil gets 12v other other side goes to ground through the neutral switch
Have you checked the connectors that come from the steering column some times the wires pull out
I checked and the starter switch is getting 12v and ground. I figured out the battery is pretty dead but the starter isn't even clocking.

Back