• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

ZDDP Experiment Results

Steve340

Reaction score
Hi all. I was told by a guy that adding ZDDP additive to oil would not work as it separated out from the oil and lay in the bottom of the sump and did not mix with your oil.
However I went ahead anyway as I had a little plan and tons of Castrol oil I won at car shows that I wanted to use up.
Just in case I only used oil that had some ZDDP (900 PPM) in it but not enough for a flat tappet cam to be sure to last and added the ZDDP bottle. I also mixed the ZDDP in a separate container with some of the engine oil, added it to a warm motor and ran it straight away for the oil pump to "mash" it all up.
The engine is a stock 1968 440 ci that does not get really tortured - it is just a street cruiser. I was not running the cam in just doing the regular oil changes.
I have had the additive in the engine for 3 years and it is still running fine and has developed no valve train noises.
To be honest I would not risk trying too mix it with oil containing zero ZDDP - to scary for me.
My Second Experiment.
I added a bottle of ZDDP to a glass jar and topped it up with engine oil and mixed it with the blade of a screwdriver and left it on the work bench for six months.
The result was there was no separation back to individual components that I could tell.
Hopefully my observations will be of interest to some of you. Steve

Steve340

Reaction score
To give the fellow his due he is a smart guy who has helped me out quite a bit.
I don't want it to appear I am disrespecting him - sorry if my post came off that way it was not intended.
I devised my tests because I thought the people that make ZDDP - surely a company could never market it if it is that bad.
But as we all know some awful **** gets sold to the unsuspecting consumer.

One thing I would take the time to mention again - I would not run ZDDP additive in oil with none added as part of it's formulation.

Back