• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1973 Challenger from Oz

Brett Martin

Reaction score
G'day from Australia. I have a 1973 Dodge Challenger that was purchased last December, by my younger brother. He was battling cancer at the time, cashed in his superannuation and asked me to purchase an american muscle car, on his behalf. Found this about an hour from home, went and sussed it out, left a deposit, and returned a week later to pick up.
We have 2 classes of registration here, full rego, and club rego, which is limited to so many times the car can be used, at a much cheaper cost. Most owners of American cars here use this rego, as they can keep it LHD.
Anyway, once we picked the car up, we drove it straight to the hospital to show him. Was the first time he grinned in a long time. He went over the car, was very impressed with what he had purchased. He had 3 stipulations, as it was a factory air con car, that had to be working. And it also had to be converted to RHD, (apologies to the purists). And finally, it had to bare his personalized BUGGSY rego plates.
He never got to drive it, but did go for a long cruise in it a week before he passed, grinning from ear to ear. We don't see too many of these out and about here.
So the challenge began in earnest to find a reputable bloke to commission the RHD conversion.
Found one 30 minutes from home.
Organised to drop the car off, then went on to find out what I can on this car.
Is a base model 2 door hardtop, with a 318 LA engine, which has a nice cam and 4 barrel on an Edelbrock manifold.
Originally was B5, with a white vinyl roof, with blue trim.
I even found the original Ebay add, on a UK site.
It was painted white before being sold on. It now sported black Challenger stripes and a black bonnet sticker, not sure if fitted before or after import.
Once the conversion was done, I organised a pair of chin spoilers and a rear go wing, along with a black vinyl roof, which really sets the car off.
Here's a few pics of the original add, when I bought it, and how it is now.
I have a Photobucket album, so please enjoy
Challenger Slideshow by propig2003
Cheers Buggsy

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Wow, nice Challenger! Very sorry to hear about the loss of your brother, that is unimaginable. Good for you to be able to bring some happiness into his remaining time with you.
Welcome to the site from the Motor City!

Brett Martin

Reaction score
Wow, nice Challenger! Very sorry to hear about the loss of your brother, that is unimaginable. Good for you to be able to bring some happiness into his remaining time with you.
Welcome to the site from the Motor City!
Thanks DetMatt1, funny thing is, he was the Paul Walker, while I was the Dom Toretto, so to speak. I questioned one of his mates later on about buying the Challenger, and he said he bought it for me as a reward for putting my life on hold, to make his final months as pleasurable as possible. That's why I carried on with his 3 stipulations. I added a few minor touches which I think he would have approved of.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Nice car ,Sorry to hear the loss of your brother sounds like he left with some good memories.
Welcome to FEBO what state are you in.

Brett Martin

Reaction score
Nice car ,Sorry to hear the loss of your brother sounds like he left with some good memories.
Welcome to FEBO what state are you in.

Thanks AUSTA, yeah,had some great memories.
I'm from the northern suburbs of Melbourne, Victoria. There's quite a few E Bodies around this way.

Cheers Buggsy

DJ1967Dart

Reaction score
Great Mopar Buggsy, so sorry to hear about your loss. Have fun with the car as I'm sure that is what your brother would want. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff that most people complain about (work, bills, politics etc). I escape from life's problems each time I take out my challenger or plan the next improvement or just clean it. Welcome from New York!

Brett Martin

Reaction score
Great Mopar Buggsy, so sorry to hear about your loss. Have fun with the car as I'm sure that is what your brother would want. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff that most people complain about (work, bills, politics etc). I escape from life's problems each time I take out my challenger or plan the next improvement or just clean it. Welcome from New York!

Thanks mate, he's with me every time I take it for a cruise. And yes, it's a great way of getting away from the world for a few hours.

Buggsy

Brett Martin

Reaction score
Well, I bit the bullet and purchased a set of Year One Magnum 500 17" wheels for BUGGSY. Perfect fit, 8"x 17" on the front, with 235/45R17 Sumitomo tyres, and 9"x 17" on the rear with 275/40R17 Sumitomo tyres. Ride is better than I thought it would be, considering the sidewall height. Quite happy with the outcome and the new look of BUGGSY.

Buggsy

IMG_3813[1].JPG

IMG_3803[1].JPG

Back