• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

22-inch Radiator on a Shaker car?

pschlosser

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm for me the 1970 Cuda 440 shaker cars ONLY had 26-inch radiators? Shaker equals Max Cool option, does it not?

Coming out of the local supermarket, this evening, I’m crossing the parking lot and I hear a long duration cam motor. A nice one. I turn to see a hemi orange 1970 Cuda 440 pulling into a spot next aisle over.

I’ve not seen a random barracuda driving on the road in several years. Sure, going to/from a swap meet or car show, I might see several. I could feel a small adrenaline release. As the guy is getting out, he’s says he doesn’t have the time to talk with me. Perhaps anticipating my enthusiasm.

But after I shared I owned one, too, he seemed doubtful until I whipped out my phone and showed him a few pictures. Then he became much more friendly.

He’s an older guy, with white hair, and claimed to be the original owner. This is a shaker car in hemi orange with a black shaker bubble and painted mirrors, black interior, center console, standard dash. He starts his story that he bought it just out of college, yada yada.

I asked if it had a stroker kit in it, because it sounded pretty long-duration to me. He said he rebuilt it some years ago and "spiced it up some", but no stroker kit. He pulled the pins and opened the hood. The engine bay was nicely detailed. He had a fender tag there, but it was dusk and I didn’t want to get distracted. I pulled my phone and started to take a photo of the fender tag, and he says “Oh, please don’t that.” I did not ask permission, and I said it was no problem.

I then notice the 22-inch radiator. I let out a small “huh.” and he looked puzzled. I said “shaker hoods didn’t come on cars without the Max Cool option and the 26-inch radiator.” He looked pretty mad and closed the hood. I thought he was gonna hit me, seriously. He says, “I don’t have time for this crap, have a good evening.” and walked away toward the store, hood pins dangling. He turned before going in to make sure I wasn’t messing with his car.

I’m sure I could have handled this better, I tend to blurt things out. If I'm wrong about this, I owe that guy an apology.

So did I insult the guy like an idiot, or did I call him out on something he may have changed?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I think he thought you were up skirting his girl friend with out permission. He's the one that lifted it up. I guess you didn't see 26 on the fender tag.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I read something that the Track Pack option included the "heavy duty cooling system". Not sure if that was automatically included with the Shaker option? I'm interested in finding out also.

Last edited:

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm for me the 1970 Cuda 440 shaker cars ONLY had 26-inch radiators? Shaker equals Max Cool option, does it not?

Coming out of the local supermarket, this evening, I’m crossing the parking lot and I hear a long duration cam motor. A nice one. I turn to see a hemi orange 1970 Cuda 440 pulling into a spot next aisle over.

I’ve not seen a random barracuda driving on the road in several years. Sure, going to/from a swap meet or car show, I might see several. I could feel a small adrenaline release. As the guy is getting out, he’s says he doesn’t have the time to talk with me. Perhaps anticipating my enthusiasm.

But after I shared I owned one, too, he seemed doubtful until I whipped out my phone and showed him a few pictures. Then he became much more friendly.

He’s an older guy, with white hair, and claimed to be the original owner. This is a shaker car in hemi orange with a black shaker bubble and painted mirrors, black interior, center console, standard dash. He starts his story that he bought it just out of college, yada yada.

I asked if it had a stroker kit in it, because it sounded pretty long-duration to me. He said he rebuilt it some years ago and "spiced it up some", but no stroker kit. He pulled the pins and opened the hood. The engine bay was nicely detailed. He had a fender tag there, but it was dusk and I didn’t want to get distracted. I pulled my phone and started to take a photo of the fender tag, and he says “Oh, please don’t that.” I did not ask permission, and I said it was no problem.

I then notice the 22-inch radiator. I let out a small “huh.” and he looked puzzled. I said “shaker hoods didn’t come on cars without the Max Cool option and the 26-inch radiator.” He looked pretty mad and closed the hood. I thought he was gonna hit me, seriously. He says, “I don’t have time for this crap, have a good evening.” and walked away toward the store, hood pins dangling. He turned before going in to make sure I wasn’t messing with his car.

I’m sure I could have handled this better, I tend to blurt things out. If I'm wrong about this, I owe that guy an apology.

So did I insult the guy like an idiot, or did I call him out on something he may have changed?
I'm interested to learn about the 22" option as well.

Regarding the interaction with the owner, it sounds like he was already not in the mood to deal with anyone, but warmed up slightly when he realized you were a fellow E-body owner. My take is that he opened it up to satisfy your curiosity, maybe let you compliment it once or twice, and go on his way. When you started in with the fender tag and correct options, etc, he saw the conversation getting nit-picky and perhaps dragging out longer than he had time for.

I'd also imagine that with a car like his, he's constantly getting approached so maybe it's automatic for him to nip it in the bud. Or maybe he's an a-hole....

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I get where you’re coming from, I’ve done some REALLY stupid stuff in my life and acted a complete fool on more occasions I care to admit. But if his fuse is so short that he would go from opening up his hood for you (kind of a big gesture, in my opinion) to slamming it shut and storming off in such a short exchange, I don’t think all of the onus is on you.

I don’t know how big your community is, but maybe you’ll cross paths again and you can make it right.

challeng61

Reaction score
R22 would be on the fender tag for a 22" radiator. The 26" would not be indicated on the tag if equipped.
My 70 R/T 440 Magnum came with the 22" and it pretty much sucks for cooling. Modified to a 4 row core helped. It does have the R22 code.

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
R22 is the code for an AM 8-Track Stereo. If a car gets a 26 inch rad it is most definitely on the tag - as a 26 right next to end.

JS29R0B Tag.jpg

BS23J0B289432.jpg

challeng61

Reaction score
Oops, you are correct, I have the 8track also no shaker. The 26 on the top line is the radiator.

Xcudame

Reaction score
It is odd that Chrysler would make a 440 with a 22" radiator, but obviously depending on options, they did.

Don't worry too much about the short tempered owner. We have no idea what his day was like. Or how many people nick pick his car when viewing it. That's why I don't and won't go to car shows anymore.

Years ago, when I went to a car shows, there was one with a 69 Coronet 4 door that was kind of off by itself and no one looking at it. I went over and talked to the guy and his family. Car was an all original survivor with just about every option you could think of - AC, AM/FM 8-track with microphone, power antenna, power windows, you name it. He was getting ready to pack up the family and head home because no one except me looked at his car. Well, I told him they were mostly idiots and didn't realize what they were missing. So remember that next time you see any old mopar. Just because it's not a hemi or six-pack or convertible doesn't mean it's worthless and not worth a look. And don't knick pick. Just be glad it's still out and tell the owner so.

pschlosser

Reaction score
I believe there is something I can learn from looking at just about any 1966-1974 Mopar, even some outside those years. My first Mopar was a 1968 Chrysler New Yorker 440, and I still have that engine in another car still running strong.... except for the smoke. :p

Xcudame

Reaction score
And no matter what the "experts" say, with Chrysler you can never say never. Weird things pop up all the time. :)

Back