• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

318 - best oil, transmission, radiator, brake fluids?? Getting ready to fire it up

gran coupe john

Reaction score
Wanting to find an expert on these fluids. The car has always had Kendall motor oil.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Engine oil: Any motor oil with lots of zinc and phosphorous (you can use a ZDDP additive for any oil as well). The good oil container will say something like "not for use with pollution controlled vehicles" as zinc plugs up catalytic convertors.

Transmission fluid (auto?): Dexron II, Dexron III, or even Ford Type F for firmer shifts. Don't spend too much money here. Torqueflights are tough.

Radiator: 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze, no more, no less.

Brake fluid: I prefer DOT 5 as it won't absorb water or take your paint off if you spill some, but any DOT 3 will work.

heminut

Reaction score
Transmission fluid (auto?): Dexron II, Dexron III, or even Ford Type F for firmer shifts. Don't spend too much money here. Torqueflights are tough.

Brake fluid: I prefer DOT 5 as it won't absorb water or take your paint off if you spill some, but any DOT 3 will work.
I have always ran Ford Type F fluid in all my auto trannys. If you want to switch over to Dot 5 brake fluid you should totally clean your system of any Dot 3 fluid, they are totally different fluids and shouldn't be mixed. Dot 5 is silicon based.

gran coupe john

Reaction score
All brake line and master cylinder, and wheel cylinders are new or rebuilt. Dot 5 sounds like the best choice. Haven't decided on tranny fluid yet, it also has been rebuilt. Forgot to ask about power steering fluid. Using old power steering pump. So what should I use?

Xcudame

Reaction score
Dot 5 is calling you to use it! 😃

For power steering fluid, use whatever is cheapest! I've used Pennzoil from Walmart for years with no issues.

I'm trying to remember, but I think there is a company that sales a blend of Dexron and Type F. Regardless, the torqueflite will hold up to whatever you use! It's the best transmission ever built!

gran coupe john

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Just can't wait to fire this 318 up. Still have to get all the fluids, so I get everything right the first time.. Thanks

Ronbo73

Reaction score
Does anyone know about how much brake fluid I need to fill the whole brake system? I have all new lines, new master cylinder, rebuilt calipers and proportioning valve (calipers and prop valve were the originals, sent out for rebuilding). The system is empty. I read 32oz is needed to fill the whole system.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Does anyone know about how much brake fluid I need to fill the whole brake system? I have all new lines, new master cylinder, rebuilt calipers and proportioning valve (calipers and prop valve were the originals, sent out for rebuilding). The system is empty. I read 32oz is needed to fill the whole system.
Yes, 32 oz. to fill the whole brake system. Almost to the oz.

And I'd go with Driven BR40 oil for the "break in" of the motor. It comes with the zinc already in it, formulated with less detergent so it doesn't "wash" it away. At least that is what I was told. Summit sells it.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I helped someone change a transmission on a barn floor. It was winter and dark. More than likely spilled to much fluid out of the converter, it would move. pump would not pickup what was in the pan. had to drop the transmission and put a quart in and it worked. Learned the hard way.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
That was a long long time ago. I do recall seeing plugs on the converters see if you have one on there. Someone here might know better. wait to see what the responses are. I'm thinking you might have to pull it or it might do damage to something.

gran coupe john

Reaction score
Thanks, I don't need that issue. I might just give the guy a call that rebuilt it. He worked as a mechanic at Chrysler for 45 years. I really don't know anything about the new torque converter he put in.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Good move. He might have put some in. I have used ATF4 and Dex tron as substitute in my Chrysler automatics.

gran coupe john

Reaction score
Thanks again, that could of been tragic. Was just going to dump some tyranny fluid in

Back