• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

4 speed reverse light switch.

mrmopar340

Reaction score
I have a little stub on my toe here I can't figure out. My reverse lights have never worked since I bought my car. I am in the final stage of a rewire for the car and a auto to manual conversion. My question is about the switch that screws into the transmission. My harness has 3 wires on it and it there a difference in the pins sizes and is there a difference between an automatic one and a 4 speed one. All the wiring is good for continuity and I think the problem is the switch. I'm too far in to chasing down a couple and would like to just get the one I need. Any help is greatly appreciated and she is on the side lift till I can figure it out. Thanks for letting me on the site and thanks for what I have learned here.

Steve340

Reaction score
An automatic has the reverse lights and a starter inhibitor function.
A 4 speed only has reverse lights.

mrmopar340

Reaction score
An automatic has the reverse lights and a starter inhibitor function.
A 4 speed only has reverse lights.
Thanks. That will help. I have seen 3 prong ones and 2 prong ones. If I deduce properly a 2 prong would be what I am looking for. Thank you .

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Bottom left 4sd reverse light plug. thought I had a picture of it. I could be wrong. I'm thinking that's it.
1710633598765.jpeg

Just happen to have an other one.
1710639619969.jpeg
1710639533662.jpeg

Last edited:

mrmopar340

Reaction score
Bottom left 4sd reverse light plug. thought I had a picture of it. I could be wrong. I'm thinking that's it.
View attachment 120887
Thanks. I actually looking for the one that screws into the transmission. I just looked and my wires and you wires are the same coming out of the firewall. At least I know I got that much right so far. I have continuity in the wires.
I think I have a picture of maybe what I'm looking for. I think this is my problem part.

Screenshot_20240316_192241_eBay.jpg

Steve340

Reaction score
I believe the picture you have posted is of an automatic trans switch. The 4 speed is completely different.
Jamie at Mega Parts has them # 212-BU102M
They use a thin sealing gasket. Brewers.
4 speed wiring basic operating fundamentals:
The wiring has one wire to the switch hot all the time. You probably need the ignition ON.
Select reverse gear. This closes the switch.
Power flows across the switch in to the other wire that goes to the reverse lights.

mrmopar340

Reaction score
I believe the picture you have posted is of an automatic trans switch. The 4 speed is completely different.
Jamie at Mega Parts has them # 212-BU102M
They use a thin sealing gasket. Brewers.
4 speed wiring basic operating fundamentals:
The wiring has one wire to the switch hot all the time. You probably need the ignition ON.
Select reverse gear. This closes the switch.
Power flows across the switch in to the other wire that goes to the reverse lights.
Thanks man you rock.

Back