• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

400hp 318

ivegonediving

Reaction score
I am putting together a 400hp 318 for a 72 Barracuda and I was wondering if a high volume oil pump would push too much oil through the system?

I know this is kind of a wierd question, but I heard that the Chevy 350 will create oil leaks with a high volume pump because the oil will have no where to go with all the extra oil being pushed through resulting in too high of a pressure in the engine. Has anyone had this problem with a Mopar engine?

ivegonediving

Reaction score
When I started the build I had to start with what I had, so the 318 was in the car and I had to go that way. I found an article in Mopar Muscle Magazine on a bolt together 400hp 318, I have been following that blueprint but then questions arise and MMM is not real good at answering questions.

I did send the grille off to Classic Car Ranch in Canada to see if they could rebuild it, it will be a miricle if they can because it was in two pieces with some missing parts. I sent them pictures and they said it could be done, hope I can afford it. lol

I am going to start a thread on the restoration forum with some pictures soon.

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Is the article online?

Is that article you mention online?I have a stock 318 and wouldnt mind some bolt on horsepower would love to read it myself.Thanks!

ivegonediving

Reaction score
The article is online, if you type "318" into the search engine of the MMM website and I think its the last article in the first 10 listed.

/6 matt

Reaction score
When I started the build I had to start with what I had, so the 318 was in the car and I had to go that way. I found an article in Mopar Muscle Magazine on a bolt together 400hp 318, I have been following that blueprint but then questions arise and MMM is not real good at answering questions.

I did send the grille off to Classic Car Ranch in Canada to see if they could rebuild it, it will be a miricle if they can because it was in two pieces with some missing parts. I sent them pictures and they said it could be done, hope I can afford it. lol

I am going to start a thread on the restoration forum with some pictures soon.
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0409_318_engine_build/index.html

Rob C

Reaction score
I am putting together a 400hp 318 for a 72 Barracuda and I was wondering if a high volume oil pump would push too much oil through the system?
No, but it'll use up a few extra HP due to the larger rotors and volume of oil. A standrad oil pump will do fine.

I know this is kind of a wierd question, but I heard that the Chevy 350 will create oil leaks with a high volume pump because the oil will have no where to go with all the extra oil being pushed through resulting in too high of a pressure in the engine. Has anyone had this problem with a Mopar engine?

I have not heard this about a Chevy engine. It certainly didn't create an issue with any of my MoPar engines when I used them.

A basic rebuild and some general research will settle everything. A book called hot to rebuild and hot to hot rod my S/B MoPar will set you up with lots of info at your finger tips when your rebuilding the engine.

What questions do you have?

ivegonediving

Reaction score
Thanks Rumblefish, I talked to a place called Hughes Engines, www.hughesengines.com and they said the same thing about the oil pump. They said they are building 600-700 HP small blocks and all they ever use are standard oil pumps. I have never heard of these guys before but all they sell is mopar engine parts. If anyone knows anything about them please pass it on. Good or bad.

I really don't have many questions but I'm not an engine builder either so some things that are obvious to some are not always to me, I did e-mail MMM once to clarify the article and got no responce.

Rob C

Reaction score
Most of us know Huges engines. They were very helpful to me and I have used them for clarification (SP?!) on pushrod geo. I also purchased pushrods from them. They made it simple.

What was your question on the 400 hp 318 build?

ivegonediving

Reaction score
In the article they said they had a 273 forged crank laying around and just popped it in. My question was, if I could get a part number or a little more information on the crank before I spent $750 on a part that was not correct. I never received an answer on that.

I went with an Eagle forged 4340 steel crank with a stock 3.310in stroke and it seems to fit everything fine.

The reason I was asking about the oil pump in the first place was I am getting ready to short block the engine and need to buy one before the windage tray and pan go on.

The pictures are what I am starting with for the restore.

427.jpg

426.jpg

428.jpg

429.jpg

431.jpg

Rob C

Reaction score
In the article they said they had a 273 forged crank laying around and just popped it in. My question was, if I could get a part number or a little more information on the crank before I spent $750 on a part that was not correct. I never received an answer on that.

OH! All small block cranks, except the 360, will interchange, AKA drop in. What the issues to look out for are;

If it is forged or not. The cast cranks have a thin part line while the forged have a wide 1/2 to a big fat 5/8 line down there length.

At the rear of the crank, you'll want to make sure of;

If your useing a 4spd, the piolt hole is drilled for a manual trans or not. It can be machined in easy.
The flange must be a bit newer than the earliest one for easy use of newer parts.
6 bolt flange, not an 8 bolt (More likely a race part) or a odd older crank with weird flanged ends.

There is a parts imterchange book that has casting /part numbers that wouold cover this. For the most part, this is something that would be very odd to uncover/find during a build up.

Back