• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 Buildup

moparguy

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am beginning to tear down my 440 :3gears: so I can send the block into a shop to get it bored 30 over and also to get it cleaned up and hot dipped. After that I am going to rebuild it with some stock parts and some new race parts. Here is what I am planning:
New 30 over pistons and rods (not forged)
New 850 cfm Holley Double Pumper
New Comp Cams 274/286 with .488 lift
Stock 906 heads but ported
New Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold

Anybody know how much power/torque this is good for? Also any suggestions? I am using the 906 heads because a buddy of mine told me they were pretty good at making large amounts of torque at stock compression.

Thanks

74 challenger

Reaction score
that will be a good engine.sounds like my 440 i had in my charger rt. had a 6pak on it and it was a monster.had the 906 heads,you wont be disappointed in it.

Reaction score
Am doing a similar with my 440, trying to re-use many of the parts with some upgrades. Keep posting of your progress, thanks.
Joe

VeteranCosmicRocker

Reaction score
I might suggest a 750cfm vacuum secondary carb (Carter AVS, Edelbrock Performer, Thermoquad, or Holley 3310) . (the Carters if your looking for originality look, yes, I know the Carters are not 750, but you get my drift...)

Last edited:

CudaCowboy

Reaction score
You might think about upgrading the stock oil pump, just a thought since its completely tore down, nows the time. Good luck with build and let us know how it turns out.

Adrian Worman

Reaction score
Agree with the carb sizing on a stockmen 440, I'm still using a 750 Eddy on my 11:1 Eddy headed RB with Cranr rollers and aXtreme energy 509 cam and it drives lovely, power everywhere.
I'd recommend a light piston tho, even Hyper KB would be a good choice and chew ish.
You'll get most gain from a decent advance curve and plenty of initial timing.

Love a 440 on the street, sound so cool :)

moparguy

Reaction score
Hey you guys I need some advice on how to remove the crank. I know I need a 1 1/4" socket to remove the pulley bolt and then to take off the yokes that hold in the crank but do I need a gear pulley to take out the bearings?

rbbruno3

Reaction score
no puller needed for the bearings.they will either fall out push out or tap out unless of course they are welded to the crank. on a second note you might want to talk with an engine builder in your area. most engines will run with what ever you put in them but they should be matched with the parts. compression cc's cam ect... there is alot that goes into building an engine. if you don't know anyone you could even call mancini racing. they are pretty knowledgeable and might help especially if you buy some parts from them.just my 2cents. good luck

bad440

Reaction score
I would also install double roller timing chain, at the very least on heads go with 2.14 intake and 1.84 exhaust, bronze guides, hemi springs(my preference, aftermarket heads); rebulding old heads will be almost same price as a set of Edelbrock heads which breathe at least 30% more than 906's. 750 vacuum carb(holley preferable) dual plane intake, no headers(use magnum exhaust manifolds), ruins your ground clearance. There are many other good add ons such as roller cam but then starts to get really expensive.

moparleo

Reaction score
440 rebuild

Just a question. Have you ever disassembled an engine before ? If not, I would recommend that you have someone that has help you. The rods should be marked to go back in the same holes if using over again. Be careful not to nick or scratch the crankshaft. If you have to force a part off,, STOP!!! and get some help. Nothing on the teardown should require force. Let us know as you go along. Have fun

Back