• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

518 stuck in first gear

Slug

Reaction score
I just had my 518 rebuilt. It stays 1st gear. Even if I manually shift it into 2nd, it stays stuck in 1st. What could be the possible causes? Kickdown new an adjusted, shifter linkage is spot on thru all the gears.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
I just had my 518 rebuilt. It stays 1st gear. Even if I manually shift it into 2nd, it stays stuck in 1st. What could be the possible causes? Kickdown new an adjusted, shifter linkage is spot on thru all the gears.
Valve body issue likely. Take it back to where you had it rebuilt and have them verify the VB is working correctly.

Slug

Reaction score
Could that screw in adjuster on outside of trans for 1st to 2nd shift cause that problem too?

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Could that screw in adjuster on outside of trans for 1st to 2nd shift cause that problem too?
If the trans does not shift into any gear, then no. Does the trans shift into reverse? Is the fluid level correct? Are there any noises coming from the trans?

Xcudame

Reaction score
Rick is right, take it back to whoever rebuilt it. There's something not adjusted correctly or something broke. Make certain you have proper fluid level. One thing about torqueflites with stock pans, they must have the fluid between the ADD and MAX lines to operate correctly. Deep pans allow you a little forgiveness on low fluid conditions.

Slug

Reaction score
It shifts into reverse with no problems and no noises at all. I just don't want to tow the car to the trans shop. That would be a hassle.

Xcudame

Reaction score
No upshift in likelihood and ease to check:
Fluid level too low
Throttle linkage adjustment
Kick down band adjustment
Line pressure to high or too low
Governor malfunction
Valve body malfunction
Sticking Accumulator, broken rings or spring
Malfuctioning clutch or servo
Oil pump malfunction
Kickdown band, apply linkage or servo malfunction
Front clutch malfunction (if the front clutch wasn't fully engaged to the rear clutch and sun bell)
Broken input shaft or reaction shaft
Shift lever adjustment

AAA extended towing is a must! Good luck!

Slug

Reaction score
Thanks to everybody who gave me suggestions, I adjusted the Kickdown band and the trans is working.

Back