• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 vs later T-handle shifter

71Challenger318

Reaction score
Is there a difference between the slap stik t-handle used in 71 and those used in 71+ E and B body? I ordered the 71-74 t-handle from Year One and it is made differently at the bottom and does not fit correctly. I have found some info around the Internet that suggests to me that 71 is on its own but I have not hard proof yet. Year One says they have never had this issue before. I will supply pics later. Please let me know what you know!

burdar

Reaction score
As far as I know, 71-74 is the same.

Just to make sure, you are using a 71-74 gear shift indicator unit right? The plastic slide that is inside the chrome gear shift indicator is square to match the profile of the T-handle. In 1970, the plastic slide piece has a different profile. That's why you can't just put a T-handle on a 70 without changing the gear shift indicator too.

71Challenger318

Reaction score
As far as I know, 71-74 is the same.

Just to make sure, you are using a 71-74 gear shift indicator unit right? The plastic slide that is inside the chrome gear shift indicator is square to match the profile of the T-handle. In 1970, the plastic slide piece has a different profile. That's why you can't just put a T-handle on a 70 without changing the gear shift indicator too.

Does anyone have a picture of a 70 indicator? Maybe my car has some wacky early production combination.

71Challenger318

Reaction score
Alright. Tyler at Year One was able to confirm for me that 1971 model cars used an earlier version of the T-handle and the plastic plate on the shifter does need to be modified slightly for the 72+ better designed handle.

burdar

Reaction score
Pictures please. This is the first I'm hearing of this.

71Challenger318

Reaction score
DSC04761.jpg

DSC04762.jpg

New one is obviously the larger of the two. Here is the image Tyler sent me that shows the note. He says they will soon be including a similar note with their handle.

thandle.jpg

Back