• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

72 Rallye vs 2 dr coupe Challenger

Steelman480

Reaction score
Just bought a restorable 72 340 coupe that was being pawned off as a Rallye package car. It seems you could get as an option any one or more of the Rallye package items seperately instead of buying the whole package. After hours of research on many sites it seems there were less 340 coupe cars built in 72 than the Rallye cars.
Mine has all the Rallye items including the banana yellow color except the sure grip rear.
Am I reading these production numbers right?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Is your car a JH or JS car? Yes, a 340 coupe would be more rare.

burdar

Reaction score
If the 340 was ordered, you automatically got a lot of the Rallye parts. I believe you got the scooped hood and HD suspension with rear sway bar. The gauges would have been an extra cost option. Also, your tail panel would have been painted the same as a base Challenger.(argent tail panel with black organisol around the tail lights) Only the Rallye cars should have a black tail panel.

Steelman480

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Is your car a JH or JS car? Yes, a 340 coupe would be more rare.
It's a JH. Production numbers show there were less JH cars produced than the JS cars. Which were the true Rallye cars.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Steelman480

Reaction score
If the 340 was ordered, you automatically got a lot of the Rallye parts. I believe you got the scooped hood and HD suspension with rear sway bar. The gauges would have been an extra cost option. Also, your tail panel would have been painted the same as a base Challenger.(argent tail panel with black organisol around the tail lights) Only the Rallye cars should have a black tail panel.
Got the gauges. Also had vinyl top. Was this top offered with the Rallye Package?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Got any pics to share with us or are we just here to talk numbers???

Steelman480

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Got any pics to share with us or are we just here to talk numbers???
Pick up car this weekend. I'll post pics of the pile when it gets here. LOL. I'll need alot of bolts.

Back