• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

727 Convertion

73fish

Reaction score
I'm converting from a 904 to a 727 (SB 340) 73 Cuda console slap stick will any of the linkage from the 904 work on the 727? I noticed the 904 has a shifter rod bracket mount molded on the tail shaft (2holes) & the 727 doesn't??

Thanks
Phil

73fish

Reaction score
Is your 727 the sb model ? Pictures ?

I dont have have any pictures as the trans is at my builders, I did cross reference the trans ID when I got it it's a non E body SB trans any idea if any of the 904 can be used?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I haven't converted a 904 to 727 in a long time. IIRC only one piece of linkage is different. It is longer for the 727. I have a 904 73 Challenger and a 73 727 Charger at the shop. Both have 318's. I'll see if I can get pics later.

73fish

Reaction score
I haven't converted a 904 to 727 in a long time. IIRC only one piece of linkage is different. It is longer for the 727. I have a 904 73 Challenger and a 73 727 Charger at the shop. Both have 318's. I'll see if I can get pics later.

Pics would be very helpful I think I may have to get a different tail shaft or weld the shifter bracket in place? Anyone have any 727 SB linkage or pics of an E body set up?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I tried to get pics. Since the cars are on the ground I couldn't really get much. The 904 and the 727 linkage all looked identical. The tailshaft does need to have the two holed mount cast into it. You may have a truck transmission.

Last edited:

73fish

Reaction score
I tried to get pics. Since the cars are on the ground I couldn't really get much. The 904 and the 727 linkage all looked identical. The tailshaft does need to have the two holed mount cast into it. You may have a truck transmission.

I do indeed have a truck trans does anyone know if I can just swap out the tail shaft case or will I have to swap out the input shaft as well?

thx

moper

Reaction score
You can swap the truck tail housing with a passenger car tail housing. You'll need new gaskets for the housing and the cover that lets you access the retianing clip that holds it in place. I've done more than a few of these and I've never needed to replace linkage parts for the shifter. The kickdown is another matter if you're changing intakes or engine families, but the floor shifter was always able to be adjusted.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I agree , shift linkage si identical for the 904 or 727 , & yes you need to swap the tailhousing so it has the mount holes for the shift shaft support to work

73fish

Reaction score
I agree , shift linkage si identical for the 904 or 727 , & yes you need to swap the tailhousing so it has the mount holes for the shift shaft support to work

Thanks...I found a shaft locally should be good to go, driveshaft & wiring to go

Yatzee

Reaction score
Sounds as if the tranny you are going to use is from a truck. That tab hanging down with two hole can be sliced off and smoothed. That tab was used for mounting a damper that use to bolt to the tailshaft.

Back