• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 340 4 speed- getting her back on the road!

rustyacres

Reaction score
Just beginning my resto of a 340 4 speed, 1973 challenger. Original paint code being metallic gold, which it will be great to bring back to! Alot of rust but nothing an angle grinder can't manage!
I actually bought the car sight unseen, then drove it with my dad across Australia (3600kms) to perth over a week! My old man is pretty old so the car is already making memories! It was a great trip!

20231217_063949.jpg

rustyacres

Reaction score
While the doors were off I decided to put new handles in- the previous owner only left one linkage in there so now I'm on a mission to find/recreate the linkage! Lucky there are some pretty good photos in previous posts on here!

rustyacres

Reaction score
After that it's into the job I have been avoiding. Rear frame rails. I have AMD replacements for both but I'm trying to avoid removing the rear trunk sheet metal.. I'm thinking if I drill the spot welds out from the top, then cut the frame rails where then need replacing... I might get away with it!

mrmopar340

Reaction score
Welcome. You have a project on your hands but will be worth it in the end. Mine is a 73 too and waved a tire your way.

hdwrench

Reaction score
looks like a fun project. you found a good place for info and parts . febo and fbbo and fabo rocks ! a hood bunch of men !!!

rustyacres

Reaction score
looks like a fun project. you found a good place for info and parts . febo and fbbo and fabo rocks ! a hood bunch of men !!!
I agree. I have been a member for some time and it's only because I have seen such a good group/atmosphere that i decided to share my progress/seek advice etc. A rare thing these days to find a group with the keyboard warriors and silly stuff!

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Much appreciated!!! Thank you! Got a rebuild kit ordered its a mess in there! I don't want to pull the engine so much cut an access hole in the panel holding it so that I can get at refurbishing the z bar then weld it all back in!
This is how I would approach the situation. I would remove the steering column if need be and brake lines. From the interior drill the 2 or 3 spot welds on the brace. Then on the frame do the same on the bottom and top. Fold the brace up and out of the way to give you more room. I would them trim away with a brazing tip and grinder with a wafer wheel. Or what ever tools you might have or get. That would all be cosmetic and coved when done.

Back