• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 Challenger two wiper issues won't park & high speed barely works

Sparkey

Reaction score
Trying to work thru the issues to get my Massachusetts inspection sticker. Wipers must work. On low speed the wipers work fine. On high speed they barely move and only for a short distance & then they stop moving. From low speed when I shut them off the wipers just stop where ever they happen to be. They do not park.
I saw the post about bad grounding & jumped in a separate ground wire but nothing changed. My switch seems to me to be a two speed (Off, Low, High) it is part # 3488 773.
My wiper motor is part # 2926 919 and one site I went to said it is a 3 speed motor.
I saw another post that said a miss match makes the parts unhappy.
Can someone tell me if I do have miss matched parts? And if so, any idea if my car should have a 2 speed setup or a 3 speed setup? And the correct part numbers that I should have.

Avalanche

Reaction score
If the wiper motor is sideways in the engine bay, then it a 3 speed. If it is straight out into bay it's 2 speed.

Sparkey

Reaction score
If the wiper motor is sideways in the engine bay, then it a 3 speed. If it is straight out into bay it's 2 speed.
It is sideways. So now it appears that I have the 2 speed switch with 3 speed motor issue. Do you know if I should have a 2 speed setup or a 3 speed setup?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
You have ‘69-‘71 C-body 3 speed Motor so I’m guessing since your switch is a 2 speed that that’s the Motor you should have.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Is the linkage working correctly? Two and three spped use different linkage. If the linkage and motor are 3 speed, I would make everything 3 speed. It is a nicer set up.

Sparkey

Reaction score
Is the linkage working correctly? Two and three spped use different linkage. If the linkage and motor are 3 speed, I would make everything 3 speed. It is a nicer set up.
How do I tell if the linkage is working correctly or not?
On low speed (the only thing that works) the wipers appear to make a full correct sweep.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
I don’t have a parts book to look up numbers. I’m not sure but someone here will “Grady”. Are the transmissions the same on 2 or 3 speed? Also the crank arm is different. So you need to see what you have hidden in the cowl. Then go from there.

Sparkey

Reaction score
I don’t have a parts book to look up numbers. I’m not sure but someone here will “Grady”. Are the transmissions the same on 2 or 3 speed? Also the crank arm is different. So you need to see what you have hidden in the cowl. Then go from there.

I got under the cowl this afternoon. Here are a couple of pictures of what I have there as well as a picture of the motor.
I don't plan on driving it in the rain so I don't have a preference between 2 speed or 3 speed. I just need to get the wipers working correctly for the State inspection.
Would it be better / easier to change the motor to a 2 speed or the switch to a 3 speed?
Is one or the other or either one correct for a 73 Challenger?

DSC01280.JPG
DSC01281.JPG
DSC01282.JPG

DetMatt1

Reaction score
There are numbers stamped on all those parts in the cowl, were going to need them to really see what you have but my guess is the same as rbbruno’s.

Avalanche

Reaction score
My guess is the same as above. Someone switched out the 2 speed motor and put a 3 speed in. best case you just switch out the motor.
Again its a guess without knowing which arms you have.

Sparkey

Reaction score
I got all the part numbers I could find. They are:

2926 916 Wiper Motor
??? Transmission (Couldn't see any numbers & it seems to be part of the motor)

3488 773 Wiper Switch Only has 2 detents
23199 Below above number

2822 292 58622 Arm Motor to drivers side

2822 291 58622 Arm Drivers side to passengers side

Hope these numbers help.

Sparkey

Reaction score
I guess that means that I need a 2 speed motor?

I came up with part # 3431606 for the 2 speed motor. Can you confirm that is the correct motor number.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
That one or 3431533 or 3431718. Those are the numbers I show for ‘72/3 E bodies but others would probably work.

Sparkey

Reaction score
Great. Thanks for all the help. I'll get one ordered up right away.

I'll just have to figure out the wiring for the 2 speed. I've seen the 2 speed harness on line & of course mine is gone. I figure I can just put female connectors on the ends of the wires at least for now.

Sparkey

Reaction score
That one or 3431533 or 3431718. Those are the numbers I show for ‘72/3 E bodies but others would probably work.
Thanks everyone for all the help. I haven't found a 2 speed motor yet (I'll keep looking) but I was able to get my State inspection sticker. I found out that the wipers just have to work so 1 speed wipers & washers working was enough to pass inspection. I plan on just driving it for now & will look for my missing / incorrect parts in the mean time.

Cudafor36

Reaction score
I got two wiper motors in my parts box. What number am I looking for and if I got it your welcome to have it.

Sparkey

Reaction score
Thanks. The number I came up with is 3431606 but I was told that 3431533 or 3431718 would also work.

Back