• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

8 3/4 Leaves Me Sideways in Traffic

Chal73lenger

Reaction score
Morning everyone…did some searches but so far none of the solutions have helped so time for first post. Recently traded my GTX clone for a 73 Challenger. Couldn’t be happier except it keeps trying to end my life.

Driving at speeds over 50km/h (what’s the about 35mph for most of you) if take a sweeper turn to the right (doesn’t happen in left turn) I start to get tire squeal, quiet at first then progressively louder and if don’t straighten out it locks up/jumps and I end up turned sideways in traffic. Have checked all four tires for play in all four directions and all are tight. No play in axles in/out by hand either. Have verified no signs of tires impacting fenders. Took it to parking lot and can do figure eights all day with no problem. Also changed gear oil and added new limited slip stuff. Case was clean, no metal.

Rear is stock 8 3/4 sure grip with newer 3:73 gears. No rear suspension mods. Car has 440/727 in it and was fully restored 10 years ago. If I’m missing info that might help let me know. Would appreciate any thoughts you may have as for now am staying off the highway.

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
Yeah it seems like either there's a spool in there or your sure grip may be messed up.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
A long long time ago. I made a car 4wd. I had the parts in hand so I did it. 2 funny things. 1 had the car at Niagara falls. when we parked to go into the hotel. There were Asian tourist with cameras. They were talking and taking picture of the car. Long before cell phones. The next year that model was 4wd. Only word I understood was SUBARU. 2 the other funny thing is I drove the car for 100s of miles maybe a 1000 miles. I was driving in town about 35 mph. The car came to a screeching halt. Got it home and found out that the rear had no lube. Don't think I checked it,thinking it probably was in there. 😬The point being. Someone may have drove it low in fluid and now you are experiencing the results.

Last edited:

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
If it is not the differential, check and see if something is grabbing the parking brake cable and locking up that wheel.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I am with Juan and the others. Open up the right rear brakes and inspect. If no issues, pull both axles and the remove the diff for a closer inspection. Potential Sure-Grip or spider gears issue when side-loaded in a righthand turn.

moparleo

Reaction score
You say over 35 mph. How much over 35 ?
On the freeway? How much of a curve ? 1/4, 1/2 or 360°
How fast in the turn that made you spin out ?
Wet pavement ? High rear tire pressure ? Gaining speed in the corner or slowing down ? Tires bald or new ?
More detailed info needed.

Chal73lenger

Reaction score
You say over 35 mph. How much over 35 ?
On the freeway? How much of a curve ? 1/4, 1/2 or 360°
How fast in the turn that made you spin out ?
Wet pavement ? High rear tire pressure ? Gaining speed in the corner or slowing down ? Tires bald or new ?
More detailed info needed.
Did some testing on weekend have to be 40mph or more. Does not have to be highway all I have to do is put side load in diff can be pretty gradual turn. Tire starts low squeal, gets worse if don’t straighten out and if hold for 10sec super loud and will get to point of lock. Is not instant lock. Dry pavement. Pressure is 30psi. Newer tires and gaining speed or same speed. Slowing down makes it quiet down. Can actually make noise change by changing speed or turn angle.

Thanks everyone else never thought about ebrake cables will check them out. Main thought was whether to throw more limited slip additive at it or just tear apart…sounds like tear apart is the consensus…

Steve340

Reaction score
An unusual problem for sure.
Has it got Green bearings with the axle spacer left installed???

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Morning everyone…did some searches but so far none of the solutions have helped so time for first post. Recently traded my GTX clone for a 73 Challenger. Couldn’t be happier except it keeps trying to end my life.

Driving at speeds over 50km/h (what’s the about 35mph for most of you) if take a sweeper turn to the right (doesn’t happen in left turn) I start to get tire squeal, quiet at first then progressively louder and if don’t straighten out it locks up/jumps and I end up turned sideways in traffic. Have checked all four tires for play in all four directions and all are tight. No play in axles in/out by hand either. Have verified no signs of tires impacting fenders. Took it to parking lot and can do figure eights all day with no problem. Also changed gear oil and added new limited slip stuff. Case was clean, no metal.

Rear is stock 8 3/4 sure grip with newer 3:73 gears. No rear suspension mods. Car has 440/727 in it and was fully restored 10 years ago. If I’m missing info that might help let me know. Would appreciate any thoughts you may have as for now am staying off the highway.
I would email Dr Diff. Cass is an expert at these rears. [email protected]

jeffmopar518

Reaction score
SEEN THAT BEFORE ,LIMITED SLIP NEEDS POSI LUBE ITS A 4 OZ BOTTLE OF ADDATIVE THAT LETS THE REAR END CLUTCHES SLIP A LITTLE, MOST POSI REAR ENDS NEED IT . MOST OR ALL DEALERS PARTS DEPTS HAVE IT YEARS AGO YHEY SAID IT WAS WHALE OIL ,LOL WHO KNOWS.TRY THAT AFTER ADDING GOO OUT AND DO SOME FIGURE EIGHTS IN A PRKING LOTTO GET IT INTO THE PLATES..

jeffmopar518

Reaction score
I KNOW YOU DID THAT YOU MIGHT WANT TO DRAIN CLEAN AND REDO THE GEAR OIL AND ADDATIVE

kastledynamics

Reaction score

could just be a loose rear end, might be worth checking all the bushings or maybe doing some upgrades like tubed trailing arms, traction and sway bars or maybe just as simple as tightening some bolts or lug nuts. Ive also had some cars try to end my life with the wrong wheels on the car, could also be something to look into

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I had a bad axle tube , out of round , even though the end play was right the brg could go off center & the brakes would grab .
I am more inclined to think it is a sure grip problem .

Daves69

Reaction score
Might be worth driving it in a straight line and check what the bearing housing ends measure in temperature for a clue.

Spring eye bushings, shackle bushings, mounts, U-bolts and spring alignment pin.

I have seen only one loose axle tube on an 8-3/4 over the years. But ya' gots ta' check everything.

Back