• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

904 tranny at

topbanana73

Reaction score
Hi all, I don’t have a lift, there is a loose “bracket?” Directly below the tranny about midway. All I was able to do is jiggle it. Don’t see it in the manuals. What is it?
Thank you

Xcudame

Reaction score
A picture is worth a thousand words! If it's the transmission mount that bolts to the cross member, it's real easy to change with a piece of wood (under the pan) and a jack (any jack - floor, bottle, scissor).

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
A picture is worth a thousand words! If it's the transmission mount that bolts to the cross member, it's real easy to change with a piece of wood (under the pan) and a jack (any jack - floor, bottle, scissor).
Yep. Without pictures and even the model/year/kind of transmission of car we're just guessing. Edit: title of the thread is 904 so I stand corrected!

Last edited:

topbanana73

Reaction score
could be the support for the shifter vertical shaft / pivot

Hi All, sorry for the delay, the 3 pics show a “support”? Below the yoke area. This is the loose part. I looked in service manuals however can’t locate.
Thanks for the help

IMG_6940.jpeg

IMG_6937.jpeg

IMG_6936.jpeg

Xcudame

Reaction score
It's a vibration dampener, kinda like the harmonic balancer on the front of the engine. Personally this is the first one I've seen on an A, B or E body. Usually only see them on luxury cars, trucks and vans. Then again, most people probably removed them before I came along on muscle cars if they had them. It probably weighs 5 to 10 pounds! If you remove it and don't notice any new vibrations, I wouldn't bother putting it back on!

73Banana

Reaction score
Thanks, another issue is back a few months I reversed the car and while rolling back at about 7 mph I threw it into drive. I drove it home(10 miles)and on a hill going down or up from a dead stop sign it made knocking/grinding noises. Is the loose dampener and the above related? Or 2 separate issues?
Thank you
It's a vibration dampener, kinda like the harmonic balancer on the front of the engine. Personally this is the first one I've seen on an A, B or E body. Usually only see them on luxury cars, trucks and vans. Then again, most people probably removed them before I came along on muscle cars if they had them. It probably weighs 5 to 10 pounds! If you remove it and don't notice any new vibrations, I wouldn't bother putting it back on!

Xcudame

Reaction score
The tail has a boss near the dust shield/rear shaft seal. That boss is drilled and tapped on ones that have the dampener.

Shifting from reverse to drive while you're still moving is NOT a good thing! But besides stress on the torque convertor and clutches, it shouldn't cause too much harm unless it's a really worn transmission. Definitely not a good thing to do repeatedly.

The loose dampener could cause a knocking noise, but a grinding noise sounds like something else.

Katfish

Reaction score
I want one of those, what application would work on a 727/518?
Anyone have a PN?

73Banana

Reaction score
The tail has a boss near the dust shield/rear shaft seal. That boss is drilled and tapped on ones that have the dampener.

Shifting from reverse to drive while you're still moving is NOT a good thing! But besides stress on the torque convertor and clutches, it shouldn't cause too much harm unless it's a really worn transmission. Definitely not a good thing to do repeatedly.

The loose dampener could cause a knocking noise, but a grinding noise sounds like something else.
Thank you Xcudame, forever grateful for you and this forum.

Xcudame

Reaction score
I forgot to post this picture. I checked my generous stash of automatic transmissions and it seems all the 904 tail housings have the boss pictured below. None of my ten or so 727 tail housing have holes. So maybe it's a 904 thing?

IMG_20240416_173213228_HDR.jpg

Xcudame

Reaction score
518 tail shaft is different altogether. It has the two holes similar to the 904, plus two holes sticking out. on ears and the three holes the mount for the cross member mounts to.

ipnj-u12770-ac_2__65621.jpg

Xcudame

Reaction score
LOL, I could and would build and sale you one, but you're like diagonally across the country from me! I'm a Mopar parts hoarder!

Back