• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

904 transmission?

sfort

Reaction score
I am looking at a parts car that has a 340/Automatic in it. I ran the codes on the car and it orginally was a 6cylinder auto car. Could they have used the 904 to bolt up to the 340. I need a torqueflight for my purposes. How do you identify the 904.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The 6 cyl. trans is a different bolt pattern than the small block trans. The 340 would be hard on a stock 904. I am guessing it has the 727.

74 challenger

Reaction score
Dont think they had the 340 paired with a 904 but they did have a 904 with a 360. The 904 had a wider band in it for the 360.

390racer

Reaction score
Can you use a 318 driveplate on a internally balanced 340 with a 904 trans?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Lets start at the beginning. This is a parts car. It came with a 6. It now has a small block. Do you know what size the smallblock is? Have you identified the transmission. Is the small block cast or forged crank. Do you want the drivetrain from the car for your car? Start with the engine. When you know what it is, you will know what transmission and parts you need. Do you know how to identify the motor?

sfort

Reaction score
I am finding out that the parts car is a 340 ralley car with a fender tag from a 6 cylinder car. This car has a running 340 with a 727 in it. The car I am building is also a 340 ralley car with a crate 360 Magnum that is in the MPP crate. No transmission. I also have a 99 Durango with a 360 magnum engine and transmission in it. I have some decisions to make as far as a direction to go. Since neither car is a numbers matching car I think I have the freedom to do what ever I want with the engine and transmission combinations. There is a lot of work to do to prior to the decision on engine and transmission. Being limited with space at home 1/22/13 I start a class at a local college that offers old school body shop (no bondo allowed). They just got finished installing a 16x20 Paint booth to be used as a media blasting booth. I can take the car there strip it down put it on a rotisserie and go to work. They have both mig and tig welders and most of the tools for hammering metal. The class is run by the owner of a local hotrod shop who has retired and turned the business over to his son and he is teaching this class. At 62 I am going back to school. Alot more fun now! But I know from listening to you guys and gals here I am going to need your input on alot of stuff.

moparleo

Reaction score
The transmission from the 99 Durango is electronically controlled and will have a lock up convertor. Good for a late model swap but not for a non computer controlled car( our cars). The Magnum motors have no provision for a mechanical fuel pump,( Timing cover will need to be changed to an early carbureted LA. As will the cam, ignition,intake manifold, carb, pulleys and brackets from carbed car waterpump is reverse rotation on the 99 Magnum. Will need a 727 trans and convertor. Basically look at the difference between your crate magnum and the 99 Durango. The 99 motor would only be feasable if you can get some kind of ecm harness adapter to be able to use the computer otherwise all the late model stuff including the computer controlled transmission is not going to do you much good. (the trans will not physically fit an E-body any way without some surgery)

sfort

Reaction score
Ok so that eliminates the 99 magnum and transmission. So I am thinking To use the crate 360 and the 727 transmission. I guess I need to determine the engine balance being either internal or external (correct)?

moparleo

Reaction score
You should be able to look at the harmonic balancer to determine if it was internally or externally balanced. There should also be a tag with a barcode on it. The dealer should be able to decipher the bar code as to what kind of balance was done.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
So where are the title, tag, and VIN for the parts car? Does the fender tag match the VIN tag on the car? If so and the car is a 340 car, I would suggest running the 340 VIN to make sure the car is clean. Someone changed tags to a 6 for some reason. You don't need legal complications.

I have used wiring from this company and have had good results with their products.

http://hotwireauto.com/

sfort

Reaction score
I have a clean title for the parts car. The vin in the window matches the vin on the title and the numbers on the radiator support and trunk lip. The fender tag is wrong. I have a bonded title on the other car I plan to build. I did run the casting numbers on the MPP 360 (53020005ab-360). Appears to be a roller cam motor.
So where are the title, tag, and VIN for the parts car? Does the fender tag match the VIN tag on the car? If so and the car is a 340 car, I would suggest running the 340 VIN to make sure the car is clean. Someone changed tags to a 6 for some reason. You don't need legal complications.

I have used wiring from this company and have had good results with their products.

http://hotwireauto.com/

challenger6pak

Reaction score
How bad is the parts car? You might be able to sell it since it is a 340 car and buy the things you need.

Back