• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

amp meter wire

2darts

Reaction score
I'm putting a 70 cuda back together, I started the car and saw some smoke in the dash. I took the gauge cluster out and noticed the amp meter wire getting hot. I took the gauge apart and noticed the isolators were in bad shape replaced them hooked back up, started the car again and same thing the red wire started getting hot to the touch. unhooked the amp meter and hooked the wires togother with a machine screw started the car and same thing. also when the amp meter was hooked up and car started gauge needle went all the way over past the C. any thoughts. thanks

2darts

Reaction score
thanks, that is what I'm going to do.noticed burn marks where the wires pass through the fire wall connector those blade contacts just can't deal with all that current

gf7cuda

Reaction score
Very common problem and the top cause for Mopar under dash fires. Here is an article that will help you and every other Mopar owner out there.
Catalog
Mopar Leo, would you know the part number for engine wiring harness factory for a 1971 340 cuda 4-spd? or where I can get this info?

moparleo

Reaction score
Are you looking for the actual harness and need the original part # Or do you want to just buy the harness ? If you are looking to buy a complete or partial harness, they are only sold through YearOne. They are a correct harness replacement and come with the correct colored wires and connectors. They plug right into your harness with no problems.

quapman

Reaction score
Be aware that 71 and early 72 main dash harnesses have a unique 3-pin door jamb button (for the dome light) that is VERY hard to find. I'm not sure if the repro harness has the 3-pin connector or the more common 2-blade switch wires. Just something to look out for. If you're not going full concours resto, a 70 or 73 harness might be a better choice. 74 is a nightmare with the additional seat belt interlock junk.

You say you're doing a 70 cuda. I'm curious why you're looking for a 71 harness.

moparleo

Reaction score
We also need to address the overcharge problem. You say that when you started the car the amp needle went all the way to the right? You may also have a defective alternator/ regulator. Are these items new or were they used before with no problem ?

Back