• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Bad water pump?

Muddytruckin

Reaction score
so I'm not sure if my water pump is bad or if my radiator is. When looking into the radiator with the engine running I can not see the coolant flowing, it just kinda sits there. Water pump and radiator are both original. I can see some very small debris in the radiator but I wouldn't think it would be enough to stop virtually all coolant flow. And ideas on how to tell which one is bad?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
A water pump will either start leaking out of the weep hole or the bearing will make noise telling you it's gone bad. I have seen one water pump that the impellers were actually corroded so badly that there was nothing left of them to move the fluid.
Thermostat could also be bad but let's start with this question, is it running hot?

Muddytruckin

Reaction score
Yes, it's running hot. She's not road ready yet so i had it running in the driveway and shut her off when it got to about 215-220. Thermostat is new and I drilled 3 small holes in it. Using 1 14" electric fan.

Adam

Reaction score
Does the lower radiator hose have a spring inside of it? The suction can nearly collapse the hose if the radiator has some flow issues..

Muddytruckin

Reaction score
Yes there is a spring in there. I'll probably get a cheapie water pump for $30 and put it on. If I can see it pushing water through the rad good, if not I'll get a new rad. Thanks for the tips on what to look for!

Back