• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Body work

burntorange70

Reaction score
I was going to try and do the body work on my car my self. Was wondering if you all could recomend a how to body work book or guid to help me out. Allso what tools do you think I would need.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Russell

AlleyoopMgv

Reaction score
I was going to try and do the body work on my car my self. Was wondering if you all could recomend a how to body work book or guid to help me out. Allso what tools do you think I would need.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Russell

Drop your car off Burnt, I would be more than happy to do it for ya! :)

AlleyoopMgv

Reaction score
Here is a link for ya burnt:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://autobodystore.com/forum/index.php

I can try to help you out if you got questions. I got a little experience ( 21 years ).

You will need of course your basic hand tools, a DA (Dual-Action) sander, sanding blocks, a good paint gun, a lot of patience and a good wife! LOL

burntorange70

Reaction score
WOW! Cool site. thanks for the link and for the offer for the help too. I know I will need it. LOL I am a ways off from paint and body work right now. I was just wanting to know what it would take and if I thought I was up to it. Working on getting a spot in the barn cleard out so I can take the car apart for the build.

AdamR

Reaction score
get a real long sanding block. Guide coat will be your best friend.

farmboy70

Reaction score
Look at your local vocational school ,some have night classes to help you get started.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" when it comes to tools. Spending a little more for the better/name brand tools will save you a lot of time in the actual process. A definite stand-out in tools if you are going to remove spot welded panels would be from Blair, their spot weld cutter is by far the best!. Any body else think of one tool in particular that has stood out in your mind as one you wouldn't do this again wthout?.

ramenth

Reaction score
I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" when it comes to tools. Spending a little more for the better/name brand tools will save you a lot of time in the actual process. A definite stand-out in tools if you are going to remove spot welded panels would be from Blair, their spot weld cutter is by far the best!. Any body else think of one tool in particular that has stood out in your mind as one you wouldn't do this again wthout?.

Wow. That's actually a tuff one. 20 years of doing this and I have a toolbox full of tools out there that I can't think of one that really stands out. Maybe it's because they all have their uses. You mention Blair. I'll agree. I also like Durablock's full range of sanding blocks. Anything Hutchins for rough sanding.

Actually, now that I think about it. Yeah. I like my little 3" DA sander for getting in close on things like door jambs. I also like my little 2" grinder. Makes getting in close on odd angles a breeze when you need to work down a little bit of weld.

burntorange70

Reaction score
I forgot about this thread. The car is in the barn. I all most got it taken apart. Started doing a little body work to the driver door. Some a hole through a rock trying to brake the windo and missed and put a big dent in the door so I got that fixed and I shaved the side marker lights and door locks. Thanks for the tips guys.

Back