• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Challenger door differences

Adam

Reaction score
I believe the long outer window sweep/seal, that the glass slides past, attaches differently in the early doors; so you would need two different kits to get both pieces if you were putting an early door on a late car, etc. Also, the glass tracks may be different, and the mirror location might be different.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I agree structurally the doors are the same but there are minor differences that can be worked around , the window seals are different for sure , the mirror bases changed but the mounting points did not . Window mechanisms will fit . the door handles themselves were also changed as the Challenger handles curved inwards & Cuda curved outwards , ,Chrysler eventually produced only 1 handle for both which works ok .

EW1BH27

Reaction score
I have both types of doors, '70 and '71+ and tried my best to show the structure differences in the following pictures. The '70 is different to accommodate the different '70 manual window regulator.

CudaDoor'70.jpg

CudaDoor'71+.jpg

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Manual window regulator differences. Because '70 has more teeth (bigger arc) that's why the '70 door frame has the "L O N G" cutout.

Window_reg1.jpg

terrywalker

Reaction score
It also seems like there's a difference between the lock mechanisms. It's been many years since I owned a 70 Challenger but it seems like a 70 had to have the key inserted in the outside lock to lock the door. You couldn't just push down the inside lock lever and shut the door. I could be wrong on this.
Terry W.

heminut

Reaction score
It also seems like there's a difference between the lock mechanisms. It's been many years since I owned a 70 Challenger but it seems like a 70 had to have the key inserted in the outside lock to lock the door. You couldn't just push down the inside lock lever and shut the door. I could be wrong on this.
Terry W.
That's definitely the case with 70 Cudas, you can only lock the door from the outside with the key.

PLUM_72

Reaction score
Is there a difference in passenger door height? Seems some cars have a 1/2-inch gap between the bottom of the door and the rocker. While others are much better.

Back