• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Chasing a dream but is it worth it ???

Mrs.Giraffe

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My name is Marcin I live in Ontario Canada and I have a question...

I was dreaming about driving a Challenger as a daily for last 20 years. I finally had a chance to buy one two years ago and since then I'm slowly collecting new body parts and striping the body to prepare it for restoration.

It's a 1973 with 360 ( not matching numbers).

But is it worth it ? The car needs... new body ( floor panels, inner fenders, quarter panels, trunk floor, rear frame rails, rockers and a jig frame to weld everything back) so at that point maybe it would be better to buy a southern shell ?

Share your thoughts...

IMG_20240211_102448.jpg

One of few

Reaction score
Once your to the assembly stage, and you see your car coming together is when you realize it’s worth it.

hdwrench

Reaction score
less rust the better , the good news is the replacement parts for that car are plentiful. if you can afford a more solid car that’s to your advantage. even better buy one that’s done … i send you a pm …

Katfish

Reaction score
Always better off buying the most complete car you can afford. You'll have 3-4x rebuilding that into something worthwhile, compared to buying something finished.

Steve340

Reaction score
I believe the first question you need to ask yourself is do I have the skills and perseverance to get this car going.
If not just go and by a nice one that you can just drive.

Mrs.Giraffe

Reaction score
I believe the first question you need to ask yourself is do I have the skills and perseverance to get this car going.
If not just go and by a nice one that you can just drive.

It's not about the skills or perseverance...

its different when its a 1970 with matching numbers or aar cuda...

my question, to those with fabrication and body work experience is: is it worth to invest so much time/money/work into 73 ?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
That would depend. What you paid for it.20k What you pay for parts. 20k What you pay for labor. 20k What you pay for paint. 20k = 80k Resale 60k? Then how many smiles per mile you get. Welcome to FEBO.
FEBO West_by_Nikos_Vasilakis-768x512 2.jpg

Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
Welcome to the FEBO from the desert!! You own the car, so that's half the battle right there! As I've posted a couple times, GM made more 1969 Chevelles then Chrysler made Barracuda and Challengers between 1970 and 1974! So as far as I'm concerned, all are E-bodies are rare and in my opinion better than a 69 Chevelle!!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Many projects get abandoned about 1/2 way through this kind of project , I would look for a more solid body or more desirable project to sink that $$ into , or Dynacorn sells complete bodies

gran coupe john

Reaction score
Been working on mine off and on for 8 years now. Getting so close I can taste it. If all else it is a wonderful learning experience. Plus had a lot of help on this site. Thanks for all the help guys, and welcome to FEBO.

Adam

Reaction score
Well, cost is one thing and time is another. Look at MoparLeo’s Challenger; probably close in cost, and you can start building it now, not 5-8 years from now.

hdwrench

Reaction score
is it worth it ? that’s a tuff question to answer! maybe impossible to answer….i’m going thru a similar project now . it’s challenging! but worth it to me , it might not be worth it to others ….a good thing in the end it will be worth more then my investment, but even if i am close i’ll have achieved my goal , to build a nice car i can enjoy! if i had found a complete car before i tore into mine i definitely would of bought it …i looked but didn’t find one ….

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Michigan!
The decision is up to you. How much time, effort and money do you want to put into it? If it doesn't really matter to you and you are not looking at the timeline to finish it or the resale value, go for it.

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
I believe the numbers (original number of cars manufactured) makes these cars valuable for all years (Cuda's and Challenger's). Obviously the 70-71 Hemi convertibles are on top value-wise, but those that can't afford those help drive the value up on the rest of the model years. The value in the clones (for example) will keep going up because of the numbers of theses cars (all models) produced being limited.
I am amazed at what they are going for, but look at what a new car goes for... I know which one I would rather have.

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
I believe the numbers (original number of cars manufactured) makes these cars valuable for all years (Cuda's and Challenger's). Obviously the 70-71 Hemi convertibles are on top value-wise, but those that can't afford those help drive the value up on the rest of the model years. The value in the clones (for example) will keep going up because of the numbers of theses cars (all models) produced being limited.
I am amazed at what they are going for, but look at what a new car goes for... I know which one I would rather have.
An interesting side note - I did a quick look on E-bay, there were 12 1973 Challengers listed. All of them are listed ranging from $32,000 to $138,000...

Back