• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Clutch Problem - 70 Cuda 440+6

Cudaized

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to this site, but not new to Cudas. My 1st car was a Cuda in 1970.I have owned my present Cuda since 1978. Although I am now 60yrs old, I still do my own work on my car. I remember taking my car to shows in the early 80's at Englishtown NJ and I was the only Cuda there. Well, enough about the past my present problem occurred when I replaced my clutch recently. I have a 70 Cuda 440+6 with all original drive train, 10.5" clutch. About 2 weeks ago I replaced the original clutch with a Ram , Borg & Beck style clutch. Everything went fine until it came to adjusting the free play. If I leave 1" of play at the pedal as required, when I push the clutch pedal down it gets stuck down and I have to pull on it to get it to return. If I adjust the rod to lessen the pedal travel it doesn't get stuck but it only comes back up about 1/2 way. I have temporarily placed a block of wood under the rug to stop the pedal from going down too far and in this way free play can be adjusted correctly and the pedal returns properly. Also, if I don't use the block of wood, when the pedal is pushed down too far the clutch makes a loud grinding sound like the clutch fingers are rubbing against the disc springs. I have checked the internet and found a lot of people with the same problem and no answer. Has anyone here had a similar problem and know a fix? This is the first time I have come across this and I have changed many mopar clutches in the past. Thanks :confused:

Back