• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

converter

challenger71

Reaction score
HI for all my engine 440 rb year 78 with 727 auto trans i replace the stock converter to boss hog night stalker p/n APE-54092 i bought it from summit racing but when i install it i feel vibration im wonder if its from the flex plate that i brought it from junk yard because they sell the converter without flex plate and one more thing how i know if i need internal or external flex plate
Thanks for all again

transman

Reaction score
Sounds like the converter is balanced wrong.
From the factory Chrysler never used a balanced flex plate. Your 440 from the factory had a cast crank, and a cast crank needs to have a weighted converter. It would have 1 large triangluar weight of 100 grams. When you ordered the converter, where you asked by the supplier if you had a cast or steel crank?
transman

transman

Reaction score
Sounds to me like the converter isn't balanced properly. Chryslers flex plates where never balanced, as the engine was either externally or internally balanced. It depended on the crank shaft. Cast iron cranks had converters that had weights on them.

Interesting converter. I went to the Boss Hog website to see what they say about their products. No furnace brazing, which I find strange, as every other re-mantufacteur of HIGH STALLS furnace brazes their components. What's even stranger, the front pump of ALL CHRYSLER converters (that's the part with the hub) are furnace brazed from the factory.

Back