• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cutting off in Drive when hot

Cuda360

Reaction score
So I drove the Challenger to work today for the first time and something happened.
1st the engine boggs down a little every time I accelerate from a stop. I've found that if I pump the pedal a few times I'm able to go without it cutting off.

2nd, and I assume this is related, on the way home after a 20 mile trip down the interstate I came to a red light. When I stopped the idle slowed then the engine died. I put it in neutral, started it up and it seemed fine. As soon as I put it in D it died again. I was able to get through the intersection by revving it in neutral and popping it in to drive with out letting the rev get too low. After getting out of work (the second job) 5 hours later, the car ran normally again, so I'm assuming that is has something to do with engine temp.

Any clues?

Last edited:

Cuda360

Reaction score
could be your accelerator pump in the carb?

We check that. It appears to be ok. Although the carb is old and could use a rebuild.
A guy I work with, who used to build engines (mostly GM) ran through a whole list of things. 1st-after he heard it running, he thinks my timing is a little off. TDC is not marked so we'll have to find out where it is the hard way. 2nd-the carb does not match in manifold. 3rd-with the cam I have, the stall of the TC could use a bump...

moparleo

Reaction score
carb missing parts, incorrect model for car

Take a look at this:View attachment 8710
I would just replace this with the Edelbrock #1411 750 cfm electric choke model with # 8007 throttle & trans stud kit. Also the PCV valve could also be sticking . Its hard to diagnose a problem when parts have been changed and modified. Best to start from scratch. As your friend recommended, set initial timing first. The engine does not have to run to do this. Recheck spark plugs for condition and proper gap, replace if not Champions which were oe. Inspect cap and rotor inside and out. Check all ignition wiring connections and grounds. Test check valve on Brake booster. Check fuel pressure, this can be done with most vacuum testers.

Back