• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dash Pad or Dash Cover?

73-Cudah2

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me difference between Dash pad and a dash cover? I am looking at replacing the dash pad on my 73 Cuda
but don't want the clue on kind. Looking for the screw attached kind has with metal backing does name identify that?

mrmopar340

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me difference between Dash pad and a dash cover? I am looking at replacing the dash pad on my 73 Cuda
but don't want the clue on kind. Looking for the screw attached kind has with metal backing does name identify that?
That's a pad I think. A cover is just that you glue it down to cover the dash pad already on the car.

terrywalker

Reaction score
A dash pad with a steel core is over $1000. Dash cover is about $200. Dash cover as mentioned above is glued over existing cracked dash pad and is usually a poor fit unless carefully trimmed, really glued well, etc. Can easily tell a cover vs pad. Use a cover only if you can't afford the pad or just save up for the pad while living with a cracked pad. The photos I added are a dash cover that I spent many hours carefully trimming before installing on a b-body I have. The grain detail is not as good as the original pad.
Terry W.

Charger Dash 1.jpg

Charger Dash 2 (Medium).jpg

Katfish

Reaction score
With the cost and quality of the available repos, I'd consider a cap. I actually had a cap on my dash for over 10yrs and it looked good. I decided to get a repo dash, paid $700 (8yrs ago) and it's not that great. I drive my car a lot, live in FL, and have a carpet dash cover on top of the dash to protect from the sun. So, looking back on it, I wished I had saved the $700 and months of aggravation. I had to go through sending the dash back and forth 3 times before just accepting the crappy 1 in the car now.
If you have a show poodle and need a nice dash, my only advice would be to only buy something you can see in person.

73-Cudah2

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information. I am thinking dash pad I'll just have to save up. It makes me think maybe I should should start
a Dash Pad making company here in Minnesota. I would think I could make it for less than $1,500.00. Starting with E-Bodies-Only cars.

Last edited:
Back