• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

disk brake conversion

EMCD

Reaction score
I have a '72 cuda with drums all around what stock, cheaper conversions are available? what cars can i go a grab cheap parts from? is it a difficult coversion?

ramenth

Reaction score
I have a '72 cuda with drums all around what stock, cheaper conversions are available? what cars can i go a grab cheap parts from? is it a difficult coversion?

F's (Aspen/Volare), J's (80-83 Cordoba/Mirada/Imperial), and M's (Gran Fury/Diplomat/5th Ave's) offer some good parts up for disk conversions. You'll need the spindles, caliper brackets, and master cylinder. Grab the calipers for cores and use the hoses to determine length. Get yourself an adjustable proportioning valve.

71solo2challenger

Reaction score
Also included is the 73-79 B-bodys Chargers, Cordobas, Magnums and 79-81 R-bodies St Regis New Yorker and you get bigger discs with the 76+ cars!

Not a bad conversion, trick is the flex hoses like ramenth said. Parts off and Parts on. Align and drive

fattiredfish

Reaction score
Hi,guys i'm sort of in the same boat with the disc brake thought.But have heard from others you may need lower control arms as well.A friend i work with did this swap on his 68 b body.An he says he had to use diplomat lower control arms also.I wanna know before tear dwn any help would be great an thanks to all.p.s.i'm new to site looks great.

ramenth

Reaction score
the other good how to is the "bible": http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

just ignore the fact that you "NEED" to use the 73-76 E & A spindle. The 73+ B/R/F/J/M spindle will work fine as ga66 posted in his articles. Oh, and those spindles can be had CHEEP CHEEP

That's called cover my a** journalism. In our litigious society E-berg and the mag isn't risking getting sued. A lot of guys out there have a lot of real world miles using the B/F/J/M/R spindles.

ramenth

Reaction score
The "other car" set up? For the most part, yes. I've never seen an F/J/M with manuals. Not sure about the earlier B's. And I'm pretty sure the R's were the same way.

fattiredfish

Reaction score
Right on !an thanks for the help there maybe a free 5th av.to be had for free. so i'd better get on it.hope to run in to some members at the swap meet in indy in march. Slash indy cyl. perf show.

71droptop

Reaction score
What are you going to do about the front end bushings.....Will you go with the graphite set up ? up grade to the C body tie rod ends. You are well into this with new lower control arms..Adding a sway bar?????PST just sent me a catalog w discounts.

71solo2challenger

Reaction score
The "other car" set up? For the most part, yes. I've never seen an F/J/M with manuals. Not sure about the earlier B's. And I'm pretty sure the R's were the same way.

F/M bodies were available with manual brakes. Only on \6 cars WITHOUT A/C and Manual trans. Once you got A/C or auto, power brakes were standard. My buddies Volare is a \6 stick and hot in the summer. Still brakes good.

Back