• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

fender tag

73Barracuda

Reaction score
siiigggghhhh, I bought a 73 barracuda with no fender tag and after removing the dash I found the bottom 3/4 of the build sheet. I know nothing about the car. Is there anything I can do, or anywhere I can go to find information about my car? Can my VIN# be used to find it is some old database?

I have read somewhere there is a guy who can rebuild fender tags for custom cars and am thinking about making a completely custom tag if I can't find the original.

Any input from the higher educated would be appreciated.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
A custom tag is frowned upon. There are a couple of companies that make replacements for tags too rusty to save but you have to have the original tag or at least the whole build sheet. There is even data on the tag that's not found on the build sheet so tags made from the sheet alone are inaccurate.

Adam

Reaction score
Well unless your 73 Barracuda is something special like Panther pink I do not think you should bother...it is still a cool car; post some pics of your car.

The vin will decode Barracuda vs Cuda, engine, and not much else, option wise..

Last edited:

quapman

Reaction score
A custom tag is frowned upon. There are a couple of companies that make replacements for tags too rusty to save but you have to have the original tag or at least the whole build sheet. There is even data on the tag that's not found on the build sheet so tags made from the sheet alone are inaccurate.

Info on the tag that's not on the sheet? Such as ????????

73Barracuda

Reaction score
Quapman, I'm missing the top 1/4 of the build sheet and the info contained on it. My car will be custom anyways. I would like to have had the info to throw in my restore folder.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
No, I'm thinking of one of the tags in particular, Lynch Road I think, has a gate number on it. I'm not talking accessory codes.

quapman

Reaction score
Ah yes, the wacky codes on the top row of Lynch Rd. cars!
Engine assembly and some other stuff I don't recall. Luckily, no E bodies were ever built there.

sdweatherman

Reaction score
Like Adam said - unless your 73 is something super special - having or not having a fender tag for it will likely not make much difference in the value of the car. In fact - if your car is not a 340 4spd Cuda with an array of awesome options - making it into a restomod or mild custom will actually be better than trying to go back to pure stock. Using modern equipment like aftermarket brakes, suspension, etc will be cheaper and easier than trying to track down good original parts - and it will drive nicer too. Regardless of what you decide - if you are just wanting to know more about the car - just send me a PM and I will help you sort out any details about the car from any pictures or documents that you have.
Scott.

jeff968

Reaction score
No, I'm thinking of one of the tags in particular, Lynch Road I think, has a gate number on it. I'm not talking accessory codes.

Since all e-bodies were built in either Hamtramck or LA then we don't have to worry about that on this board. For e-bodies, everything listed on the tag appears on the sheet. I can think of one exception, CTD. :)

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
I like the custom tag option. 4WDB for instance could denote your braking system etc.

Sheldon

73Barracuda

Reaction score
Could you imagine a custom 73 318 fender tag with 4 wheel disc brakes, 302 stamped heads, Edelbrock 600, slap stick, suregrip, led front and back lights, vinyl wrapped panels, .....

sdweatherman

Reaction score
Drop in a high revving 340, some body color mirrors, dual exhaust with tips, rallye gauges, disc brakes all the way around, tinted windows, some bright moulding, tach, performance hood, power windows and top end radio, oh yeah - fill up that tag. You have to pick a color too. Lemon Twist w/Black top-interior-stripe?

N85 P31 R35 V6X 26 EN2
M25 M31 M88 N41 N42
G11 G36 J25 J54 L31 M21
V1X U A36 B41 C16 C56
FY1 A6X9 000 MAR CUSTOM
E55 D21 BH23 H3B 123456

A62 Rallye guages were not on the tag for 73 and up - so I had to change that to the A36 Axle package - 8 3/4" Rear end with 3.55 gears.

Last edited:

sdweatherman

Reaction score
Or this one without the black vinyl top.

73CudaCustom.jpg

Back