• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fender to Radiator Frame Brace

340challconvert

Reaction score
I saw a picture of a 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe for Sale on Craigslist
Car is ok and priced a little high priced with an ugly 1/2 roof
1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe, nom 360/727 auto

Anyway; not the point I want to make
The picture of the ebody engine compartment had an inner fender to radiator frame brace installed (obviously not stock)
I think it is a great idea; looks like minimal impact on drilling any holes or modifying the body for the brace to fit.
I have a convertible and I remember bad cowl shake when it was on the road.

I know that the brace on b bodies usually went from the cowl to the inner fender.
This one went from the inner fender to the radiator frame (not a bad idea IMO)

Has anyone tried this or know what brace might fit? (mid 70's b body brace?)
Thoughts Appreciated

Dino2 (1).gif

Fender to radiator frame brace.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I don’t think the upper yoke of the radiator core support is rigid enough for that to do any good but I may be wrong.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I don’t think the upper yoke of the radiator core support is rigid enough for that to do any good but I may be wrong.

Not sure myself
Original b body braces attach at the fire wall to the inner fender.
If I attach the fender to radiator support brace on two sides, it would tighten up on the front fenders/front end as "one" unit.
Thinking this through;
It is the front end in relation to the cowl on convertibles that seems to be the source of the "cowl shake". It could also potentially elongate the holes in the radiator frame if there is "too much shaking goin on" (wasn't that a song?)

Frame connectors (which I really would not want to do) would probably help?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Except I’d probably just put up with the shake before doing that to an original car that doesn’t get driven much.

Steve340

Reaction score
You can stiffen a car quite a bit by seam welding all the joints. You can make it look original if you take enough time.
Plug weld were you can see it and stitch every lap were you cannot. A lot of the steel inside the driver compartment is quite flimsily put together.
Matt is right you can spend a lot of time adding bracing but if it is mounted to a flimsy panel it will do very little.

budascuda

Reaction score
Any sensibly placed bracing is helpful to dampen vibrations however in case of an accident, as they do happen whether or not you drive your vehicle frequently, one should take care that the force of impact is not directly transferred to other parts of the car by a type of bracing that is too rigid to collapse, when needed!
The braces in the first picture look discrete enough and if needed, they can collapse more like the type designed by the factory.
I might even try them myself.

Last edited:

Moparparts

Reaction score
74 up A-Body also use those braces. I have a set available for a 74 and a set for a 75, PM me if anyone is interested in them

Cudafor36

Reaction score
My 73 Cuda has some irritable fender shake when I hit bumps. I've put braces all on the front clip and it still does it. Thoughts guys.

Cudafor36

Reaction score
Update. I have bought the brace system from Driveline works. He has pics of one on his 70 Cuda. He is mfg them now. Looks good for 500 bucks and will reduce the shakes. That coupled with the UsCar tool welded on inner fender braces will make her rock solid again.

IMG_6622.JPG

Back