• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

For an a/t to 4speed swap…a833?

73E

Reaction score
On 73 Challenger with 440, if i search for an A833 4 speed, do all “bodies “ fit each other? A body, B body, E body trannys?

Reaction score
On 73 Challenger with 440, if i search for an A833 4 speed, do all “bodies “ fit each other? A body, B body, E body trannys?
A body will not work tail shaft extension housing to short.
B body will work as long as the tail shaft extension housing has the rear shifter mount. Lots of B body transmissions have both shifter mounts one at the front by the speedo gear hole and another at the end of the extension housing. B and E are the same overall length.
Any year E body

73E

Reaction score
A body will not work tail shaft extension housing to short.
B body will work as long as the tail shaft extension housing has the rear shifter mount. Lots of B body transmissions have both shifter mounts one at the front by the speedo gear hole and another at the end of the extension housing. B and E are the same overall length.
Any year E body
Ok, so if seller says it has “dual shifter mount locations “ it will fit?
And if i find one from a b bod with rear shifter mount it will fit?

Daves69

Reaction score
And if i find one from a b bod with rear shifter mount it will fit?
Yes.
The B-E is the one ya' want. The B only has just the forward mount. The A is in between along with a shorter OA length.

1707769819606.png

73E

Reaction score
Anyone know if this would fit?
IMG_4562.pngIMG_4561.png
“NPA-833 4 speed Mopar 4 Speed Transmission, aluminum case Dodge A833 4 speed Manual 23 Spline- 1968 Case ”

rwilson

Reaction score
Does the rear mounting pad on the tail housing have holes drilled for the shifter? And make sure it’s not an overdrive 4 speed aluminum case

73E

Reaction score
Does the rear mounting pad on the tail housing have holes drilled for the shifter? And make sure it’s not an overdrive 4 speed aluminum case
I will ask, but im sure drilling/tapping the holes is no biggie?

73E

Reaction score
It is not aluminum, and rear shifter mount has threaded holes

rwilson

Reaction score
It’s harder than you think due to the nature of the style of bolts used to hold that shifter pad -a correct straight drill angle is very vital and so is the center center to center measurements. You could have a machine shop drill them for you for peace of mind.

rwilson

Reaction score
It’s harder than you think due to the nature of the style of bolts used to hold that shifter pad -a correct straight drill angle is very vital and so is the center center to center measurements. You could have a machine shop drill them for you for peace of mind.
Disregard this answer as the holes were already drilled for your application

73E

Reaction score
A bit more info, im told the transmission came off a V6 car?

73E

Reaction score
Nobody knows if this tranny will work?

Back