• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Full Throtoll delay???

Cudafever

Reaction score
You can buy timing tape from mopar but here is a quick way to mark you harmonic balancer so you can see more than 10* of advance.
In the video he says his is 6 inches, i'm pretty sure our harmonic balancers are 7 1/2" in diameter.
The math still works just us 7-1/2" instead of 6"

Last edited:

FredD

Reaction score
You can buy timing tape from mopar but here is a quick way to mark you harmonic balancer so you can see more than 10* of advance.
In the video he says his is 6 inches, i'm pretty sure our harmonic balancers are 7 1/2" in diameter.
The math still works just us 7-1/2" instead of 6"

Humm, never check timing before.... Is it worth buying the equipment, do you have to do this often?

Cudafever

Reaction score
Recommended basic tuning tool kit, Vacuum gauge, timing light. Screw driver and assorted wrenches to work on carb, and a flashlight.
Just buy the cheap one (timing light) it will work as good as anyone, with the tape trick you just saw.

The timing light pick-up lead go's on the #1 spark plug wire.(sitting in the driver's seat) front spark plug on the left cyl or drivers side cyl.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
With a double pump carb often you cannot tune it so it will not bog from idle to wot , the vacuum drop is too much to overcome by adding extra fuel , if you half step & roll in or wait a moment for the rpm to come up & dump in the rest of the throttle it works great generally .
With timing you want to be around 14-16 * at idle & 34-36 total , this is easier to do if the vacuum advance is left disconnected

FredD

Reaction score
With a double pump carb often you cannot tune it so it will not bog from idle to wot , the vacuum drop is too much to overcome by adding extra fuel , if you half step & roll in or wait a moment for the rpm to come up & dump in the rest of the throttle it works great generally .
With timing you want to be around 14-16 * at idle & 34-36 total , this is easier to do if the vacuum advance is left disconnected

FredD

Reaction score
Recommended basic tuning tool kit, Vacuum gauge, timing light. Screw driver and assorted wrenches to work on carb, and a flashlight.
Just buy the cheap one (timing light) it will work as good as anyone, with the tape trick you just saw.

The timing light pick-up lead go's on the #1 spark plug wire.(sitting in the driver's seat) front spark plug on the left cyl or drivers side cyl.
It's exactly how it's reacting. I can preload and then dump, or coast and then dump, and it's find. But I need some kinda of rpm otherwise it bog down.

Cudafever

Reaction score
Get a timing light and add 5* at idle, then wack the throttle again, bet it goes away.
But you can't keep it there until you know how much mechanical advance you have in that distributor.
As mentioned above you need to remove your vacuum advance from the distributor and plug the hose before you check the timing.
If you haven't got a timing light yet. Mark where the distributor is at right now.(Very important) then loosen the distributor bolt that hold the distributor in place. Now grasp the distributor and turn it counter clockwise just enough, that you saw it move. tighten dist bolt and start eng.
Warm eng and test to see if stumble has gone away. If it has, Well your in the right area. If not set dist back to previous position.
Even if this fixes your problem, you still need to turn it back to where it was before, UNTIL you get a timing light to find out how much mechanical advance you have.

Cudafever

Reaction score
Here is a carb diagram that might help.
holley carb diagram 66572747.jpg

FredD

Reaction score
It still not fix but Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate.

FredD

Reaction score
Ok weird thing happened today, went to a car show and on the way back I notice my throttle delay was no more, it was awesome. Then I stop for fuel, stop at the grocery store and throttle delay is back?????? So for about a hour and a half there was no issue. Would octane booster cause this issue maybe. Cause I put fuel this morning(40L), no booster, just zmax fuel solution, then put another 30L with booster (got the gas at the same pump, chevron 94) and I have the delay again.

Cudafever

Reaction score
I when back and listened to your video again, still sound like you need more initial timing!
What compression do you have, you may not need any kind of octane booster at all.

Remember, the higher the octane # the slower the fuel burns(resist detonation)
How ever, i don't think it is your problem.
You don't have a stock cam so you can't set timing to stock spec's. bigger cam than stock need more timing.
I'm running 22* Initial and 36 total(you can get away with a little bit more total timing when you live at a High elevation.
If you have 94 octane fuel you must be close to sea level.
Start eng, look down carb or at the squirters. Just barely open up the throttle, did the fuel come out of the squirter? if not, that is your stumble(need to adj the squirter arm) If it did, you need more Initial timing.

FredD

Reaction score
I when back and listened to your video again, still sound like you need more initial timing!
What compression do you have, you may not need any kind of octane booster at all.

Remember, the higher the octane # the slower the fuel burns(resist detonation)
How ever, i don't think it is your problem.
You don't have a stock cam so you can't set timing to stock spec's. bigger cam than stock need more timing.
I'm running 22* Initial and 36 total(you can get away with a little bit more total timing when you live at a High elevation.
If you have 94 octane fuel you must be close to sea level.
Start eng, look down carb or at the squirters. Just barely open up the throttle, did the fuel come out of the squirter? if not, that is your stumble(need to adj the squirter arm) If it did, you need more Initial timing.
Took this video when it was fixed today. See no hesitation. Timing would not fix itself right?

Cudafever

Reaction score
Your first video i would say that you're eng is idiling around 7-800 rpm. you 2nt video sound like it's idling faster. If your tach is accurate........It shows you're idling at 1500 RPM. That would sure help to cover up your stumble if its idling that faster.

FredD

Reaction score
Your first video i would say that you're eng is idiling around 7-800 rpm. you 2nt video sound like it's idling faster. If your tach is accurate........It shows you're idling at 1500 RPM. That would sure help to cover up your stumble if its idling that faster.
Humm interesting, I'll keep that in mind.

Back