• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Help??????what color white paint??????? Help

rbbruno3

Reaction score
photo (30).jpgHELP PLEASE, just got my new Legendary door panels. The problem is they dont match all the other parts. This stinks!!! I cleaned and blasted and primed all my window trim ,seat trim , everything thats supposed to be white. I used Yearone white interior paint, correct for for 1970. (not the pearl white). What paint do I need to use to match the seats, headliner and door panels? Legendary was no help and neither was Yearone, Its like I was speaking a different language. Never heard of such a thing. I checked other sites and they had this problem but didnt say what they used. Please help me here. Thanks Rick

photo (30).jpg

4404spd

Reaction score
View attachment 15549HELP PLEASE, just got my new Legendary door panels. The problem is they dont match all the other parts. This stinks!!! I cleaned and blasted and primed all my window trim ,seat trim , everything thats supposed to be white. I used Yearone white interior paint, correct for for 1970. (not the pearl white). What paint do I need to use to match the seats, headliner and door panels? Legendary was no help and neither was Yearone, Its like I was speaking a different language. Never heard of such a thing. I checked other sites and they had this problem but didnt say what they used. Please help me here. Thanks Rick

Same thing happened to me on my son's 70 Dart. I painted all the metal interior trim as per what Chrysler used and the door panels were like a crème color...I was pissed.

moparleo

Reaction score
An excellent product is by SEM. Many here have used it with excellent results. You can go to the local automotive paint store and they probably have it. To match the color of white, you should take a sample of the white you are looking for and they can do a color match.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I am looking to hear from someone who has actually used a paint to match. I know Herbs makes a paint he claims also matches. I am done experimenting though. This is a lot of work prepping and painting all these parts. The more paint you put on the grains keeps filling up. That's why I did it right the first time. And no , I am not painting 2K $ worth of new door panels. Someone has done this, what paint have you used . Maybe it is SEM but I'm not going to experiment . Thanks again, Rick

ramenth

Reaction score
Rick... gotta tell you, it's one of those things. The door panels are molded in plastic and the paint you used is just that... paint. I know... I know... pretty obvious. The whites are correct, it's a different technique to achieve the finished results. Especially when you mix and match vendors for your finished results.

It's like taking a picture out of a magazine of an unusual color, going to your local paint jobber and asking them to match it. You'll find that even the closest paint match isn't going to be the same as the colored ink used in the magazine. To totally different outcomes.

Even looking at your monitor on here, skimming through pics, is going to disturb the actual color to an extent. Yeah, it sucks, but it's the reality of the situation.

Take the door panels to your local jobber who sells SEM, have 'em scan 'em with a scope and get the paint that'll match the panels.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Thanks Robert , I guess that's what I'll have to do. Just figured maybe someone had a paint code to match already. I know it's not going to be perfect, just want it a little closer

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The white you are looking for is PPG Ditzler code 8849. The original paint is a lacquer. That is why the metal pieces in your car are a low gloss finish. Since the panels were not originally painted you will need to use the color in an enamel with a flex agent so that they have a little shine to them. Don't go too heavy or they will have too much shine.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Thanks for the info
The white you are looking for is PPG Ditzler code 8849. The original paint is a lacquer. That is why the metal pieces in your car are a low gloss finish. Since the panels were not originally painted you will need to use the color in an enamel with a flex agent so that they have a little shine to them. Don't go too heavy or they will have too much shine.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I see you are concerned with the moulding grain. Don't sand it. Dip it in a chemical stripper if you need to start over. A lacquer primer that is non sandable with a lacquer color overcoat will show the grain well without filling it when you paint the mouldings.

Back