• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Just how odd is this 70 Challenger?

aussiemark

Reaction score
A lot of the options the car has are quite rare and when it was new it would have cost more then a basic R/T Hemi car so it is definitely worth restoring.

AMC PackRat

Reaction score
In order to do a proper resto the car isn't worth it in my opinion - unless you owned a body shop. It would need fenders, quarters, trunk, 1 rocker, and roof replacement at the least. There's some rust through on the cowl and both front fenderwells that could probably be patched. It also has rust through on the driver's a pillar and the end of the left rear frame rail may need work also. PO also mangled the lower radiator support by hooking a chain to it. The carpet's never been pulled out so hard telling what that looks like. The owner's a Ford guy that's working on a 69 Cougar and a 71 Cougar convertible that are in better shape. He's more mechanically inclined and doesn't really weld or do body work - don't see this one getting fixed much. lol I imagine I'll get a good chance to beat it on the back roads once in a while, though. :D

I have no intention of buying it. I sold off my muscle car Mopars years ago and switched to a couple of Arizona AMCs without rust problems. I do still have a Shelby Dakota and a couple Jeeps left, though.

Last edited:

sdweatherman

Reaction score
I agree. It will take someone that has the ability to do much of the work for the owner not to be upside-down in it. But I know many that have gone this route because it was the car that they always wanted and did not have any intentions of selling them when they were done.

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
Yes it needs work but it would be a great car for a hobbiest not an opportunist. I see 318, 72-3-4 cars get the same amount of sheetmetal changed so I don't know why this car wouldn't be worth the effort by someone who loves the cars more than just in it for the money like some of you are.

Sheldon

AMC PackRat

Reaction score
Well, we're not opportunists but we're not rich, either. :) I don't think dumping hundreds of man-hours into a project like this to break even or lose money is in the cards. We both have our own cars that we're doing that to already. LOL

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
In that case don't mess the car up anymore than it already is. It's better to pass it on to someone who appreciates it and will bring it back to life properly before it gets any worse.

Sheldon

sdweatherman

Reaction score
This car might be a perfect candidate for the "progressive" restoration option. In the short term, take care of any glaring issues that would make it unsafe to drive to a few shows or cruises. Then, each winter, choose an area or system to freshen up or restore. 1st winter - redo all the ball joints and bushings in the front end. Next winter - Pull the axle and have it gone through and painted. 3rd winter - have the front buckets re-skinned. This way, the car is not pulled apart and can be enjoyed each driving season. And you can choose what part of the car to do each winter based on your budget that year.

AMC PackRat

Reaction score
Personally I think he's just going to get it mechanically dependable enough to drive around in seeing as he has plates and insurance on it. I think he'll consider it his "barely a survivor" car. :cool: Better than what the last owner did with it, anyway.

At least it won't get driven much - might be a little embarrassing for Mopar guys though. :oops: Maybe I can talk him into doing a few car shows with it. lol

quapman

Reaction score
Despite being easily annoyed by these tiring threads (sarcasm), it would definitely be worth restoring, despite the "meh" factor. 340 cars are awesome and sunroof cars are extra cool.

As others have stated, you'd have to do a lot of the work yourself in order to not be under water. If the current owner decides to sell and isn't crazy over the top on price, someone here would surely snatch it up. Maybe even a grumpy old curmudgeon like me.

340challconvert

Reaction score
A lot of the options the car has are quite rare and when it was new it would have cost more then a basic R/T Hemi car so it is definitely worth restoring.
Good Point
Dino2 (1).gif

aussiemark

Reaction score
At the end of the day if it is not passed on to someone with the talent to restore it and is eventually scrapped it will just make the others more rare, sort after and expensive. If I had it I would fix it because I have the skill and the love for these cars.

AMC PackRat

Reaction score
If I could have bought it 25 years ago before it turned into this pile it never would have ended up like this. The only reason the PO kept the car and let it rot was because he knew there were people like me that wanted it. He enjoyed the attention and the fact that he had it and someone else didn't. Oh well . . . I'm happy with my Donohue Javelin and gave up on owning this car years ago. lol

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
Packrat, yes this guy is the guy I hate. They don't have the skills or inclination to restore the car and they usually don't store them correctly resulting in the car deteriorating. I believe it is all about the attention or they get their jollys from turning down offers from people who would save it. On a side note, with all the metal available now it is a lot easier to restore this car than it was 25 years ago and better standards are expected so if it does get restored the job should be much better than what was achievable or accepted 25 years ago.

Sheldon

AMC PackRat

Reaction score
"Packrat, yes this guy is the guy I hate. They don't have the skills or inclination to restore the car and they usually don't store them correctly resulting in the car deteriorating. I believe it is all about the attention or they get their jollys from turning down offers from people who would save it."

That's OK - I screwed his ex-wife for about 6 months. She was a ***** with with no redeeming values but it was worth it. :D

jeff968

Reaction score
In order to do a proper resto the car isn't worth it in my opinion

As others have said, some restore cars for the fun of it. If the car makes it to someone who can do the work themselves and enjoys it, not looking at the bottom line, then it should be saved. It is a very special and unique Challenger.

AMC PackRat

Reaction score
I wish it would but I don't think he's going to sell it unless he gets at least the money he has into it back plus a little more. I can't get 6k for my rust free 69 AMX project car and I'm sure he wants more than that for this car. If he stuck it on Craigslist he'd probably get about 2 dozen bozos offering him 3k or less for it. I can hear their whiny lil excuses for it "not bein worth nothin" already. Been there done that - I sold one of my Shelby Dakotas earlier this year. I had one guy from New York offer me $1000 for it because it would cost him $500 to ship it. lol

Hamtrak

Reaction score
My first MoPar in 1979 was an A66 '70 Challenger JH23HOB F8/F8 V1X, 340/ 4 spd.
Car was 9 years old and beat to HELL! Would jump out of first gear, Gas tank was full of rust and clogged many fuel filters, 340 finally jumped time and I traded it for a 60,000 mi. '70 Charger R/T. Guy allowed me $200 off the $950 Charger!

Bob Challenger 2.jpg

Last edited:

Hamtrak

Reaction score
If I could have bought it 25 years ago before it turned into this pile it never would have ended up like this. The only reason the PO kept the car and let it rot was because he knew there were people like me that wanted it. He enjoyed the attention and the fact that he had it and someone else didn't. Oh well . . . I'm happy with my Donohue Javelin and gave up on owning this car years ago. lol
Take a look at my challenger resto pics in this forum I took on a car that was in such poor cond it was being parted and scrapped. This car looks ez!

Back