• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Keisler TREMEC TKO 600 Question / Dilemma

DaveH

Reaction score
Hey guys,

As many of you know I'm putting back together my 71 Challenger Convertible after just getting it back from being painted. I welded up a jig for the K-member, rebuilt the 340 and suspention. Up to this point I have the suspension, K-member and 340 assembled on the jig.

Before Keisler went out of business I bought a complete kit TREMEC TKO 600 from soup to nuts from them. Everything I needed to make the conversion to the 5 speed.

I installed the Flywheel last night with ARP fasteners and then went to install the clutch and pressure plate and none of the holes lined up with the Flywheel.

Well come to find out (no big surprise from Keisler) I was sent a 10.5" Flywheel and an 11" clutch and pressure plate. I caller American Powertrain to talk to them but its a weekend and they are closed. I just can't pick a new clutch and pressure plate I need one specific for the TKO 600 with the correct splines.

Below is what I was sent what do you guys suggest? I like the Billet flywheel over the Sachs clutch just not sure which clutch and pressure plate to get. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Its a street car only so I don't thik a 10.5" set up will make a huge difference over an 11" set up.

Flywheel:
Ram 1503 Billet Steel Flywheel. 10.5"(10.95") B&B Diaphragm, 130 Tooth.

Clutch and Pressure Plate:
Sachs PC1877-KE, Item CLA-PK1877KW, 11"

Thanks
Dave

Adam

Reaction score
FWIW, I believe the 10.5 in, 130 tooth flywheel is correct, you just need the 26 spline clutch assembly.
But, before you do anything, take a minute and mock up your starter and bellhousing to verify.. If your current flywheel is too small the starter will not engage and you have to change the flywheel. It would be a major drag to go with the smaller clutch only to find none of it will work.

moparleo

Reaction score
And a good example to you folks out there why you should always check the parts sent to you for whatever you are working on. Verify that you not only received the correct parts but that they are not used or damaged. Not all companies go out of business, but it is always easier to resolve any problems with the supplier when done sooner than later. More pictures.

DaveH

Reaction score
Update:

I got ahold of Ben at Silver Sport Transmissions. They bought all of Keislers inventory and he couldn't have been nicer. He knew exactly what I was talking about and hooked me up with the correct 10.5" clutch and pressure plate at a reasonable price. So I'm back on track again. Thanks

Anyone in need of a new 11" clutch and pressure plate let me know and I will make you a great deal.

Dave

70Hardtop

Reaction score
Great news that you got the problem sorted so quick. This is a little interesting to me as I also have a 71 Challenger and the exact same TKO 600 kit as yours. Except mine is going behind a 440. I got it many years ago and I never really checked everything properly, however it seemed to be all correct (11" clutch etc). However I am worried that it will not be a direct bolt in like they claim. Two different people have told me that I will have to modify the floorpan because it will not go in as easy as Keisler advertise. I don't want to do this as I just got a manual trans hump welded in, and don't want to be banging big bulges in that.

DaveH

Reaction score
When I ordered the kit I also ordered Keislers hump as well. The salesperson said it allows the trans to fit. I've welded mine in already if I have to make modifications then I guess I will. I really want to be driving the car by spring. Good luck.

70Hardtop

Reaction score
When I ordered the kit I also ordered Keislers hump as well. The salesperson said it allows the trans to fit. I've welded mine in already if I have to make modifications then I guess I will. I really want to be driving the car by spring. Good luck.

Ah, if they also supply a trans hump (which I didn't know about until I read this) that would explain why they say a direct bolt in. Any chance of a good photo of your trans hump please? I have attached mine here. Maybe I can get an idea of the differences.

Floorpan.jpg

firewall.jpg

DaveH

Reaction score
Yours looks no different than mine. Welded in the same location. I can't take a pic because I'm traveling for work. Based on the Keisler reputation I still see making modifications with the hump even though I purchased it from them. :)

70Hardtop

Reaction score
OK, thanks anyway. I have found from years of experience that as soon as you try to modify a car from original, no matter how easy they say, usually turns into twice as big a job as originally intended.

Back