• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Leaf Spring & bushings replacement sources advice

TeeScott

Reaction score
Forum Folks,
I purchased a 73 Ralleye 340 car last year (w 92K miles) that has been rarely driven since 2009, and has LOTs of original parts in-place. As you can imagine, sitting so much coupled to 50-yrs of age has left nearly every rubber hose/gasket/bushing in need of replacement.
By the end of this week, I should finish my continuing efforts to re-build most of the entire braking system, which was my 1st priority. In addition, lots of efforts over the past several months to tune the engine and replace items like carb./radiator/distributor/pwr strg Pmp/belts/hoses/fuel pump/fuel lines, etc...now has the engine starting/running fine. The car drives O.K. except for the clunking sounds coming from the rear end due to all the worn-out bushings. The suspension appears to be stock but the rear end "sits" pretty low which causes me to think the smartest move is to just replace the rear leaf springs along with all new bushings/hardware. So after several searches on this forum and numerous internet searches, I all asking for some advice on good sources for these parts? Or even better if anyone knows of a single source that could provide the springs as well as all the related bushings/shackles/hardware to installed a new set of leaf springs under my car?? As usual, thx for any feedback.
-TeeScott, Bardstown Ky

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Forum Folks,
I purchased a 73 Ralleye 340 car last year (w 92K miles) that has been rarely driven since 2009, and has LOTs of original parts in-place. As you can imagine, sitting so much coupled to 50-yrs of age has left nearly every rubber hose/gasket/bushing in need of replacement.
By the end of this week, I should finish my continuing efforts to re-build most of the entire braking system, which was my 1st priority. In addition, lots of efforts over the past several months to tune the engine and replace items like carb./radiator/distributor/pwr strg Pmp/belts/hoses/fuel pump/fuel lines, etc...now has the engine starting/running fine. The car drives O.K. except for the clunking sounds coming from the rear end due to all the worn-out bushings. The suspension appears to be stock but the rear end "sits" pretty low which causes me to think the smartest move is to just replace the rear leaf springs along with all new bushings/hardware. So after several searches on this forum and numerous internet searches, I all asking for some advice on good sources for these parts? Or even better if anyone knows of a single source that could provide the springs as well as all the related bushings/shackles/hardware to installed a new set of leaf springs under my car?? As usual, thx for any feedback.
-TeeScott, Bardstown Ky
Best to replace those rear springs. I've used both ESPO as well as General Spring. If you go with ESPO, Laura is the one you'll communicate with via their chat function. She's very helpful. I used ESPO on my last car only because General offered springs with a higher lift, and I did not want that. Both have excellent parts. On my Challenger, I got the 440/Hemi springs because they are a bit stiffer (more spring rate) and make the car ride better, IMO.

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Best to replace those rear springs. I've used both ESPO as well as General Spring. If you go with ESPO, Laura is the one you'll communicate with via their chat function. She's very helpful. I used ESPO on my last car only because General offered springs with a higher lift, and I did not want that. Both have excellent parts. On my Challenger, I got the 440/Hemi springs because they are a bit stiffer (more spring rate) and make the car ride better, IMO.
X2 for Espo.

TeeScott

Reaction score
Gents,
THX for the feedback. This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for....I do appreciate it.
Final question: Rubber vs Poly for the bushings?
Car is still running the "mostly original" engine (w an old-school LD4B Intake, 600cfm carb, long tube headers, stock mufflers) with a 727 trans & 489 casting sure-grip diff. I don't plan a lot of power upgrades, since I will likely be re-selling the car once i get it "roadworthy" and play with it for a cruising season or 2. I've heard that Poly are basically superior to old school rubber (though they can be squeaky if not greased correctly).
I'll also be replacing all the sway bas bushings as well.

THX again..
-TeeScott

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Gents,
THX for the feedback. This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for....I do appreciate it.
Final question: Rubber vs Poly for the bushings?
Car is still running the "mostly original" engine (w an old-school LD4B Intake, 600cfm carb, long tube headers, stock mufflers) with a 727 trans & 489 casting sure-grip diff. I don't plan a lot of power upgrades, since I will likely be re-selling the car once i get it "roadworthy" and play with it for a cruising season or 2. I've heard that Poly are basically superior to old school rubber (though they can be squeaky if not greased correctly).
I'll also be replacing all the sway bas bushings as well.

THX again..
-TeeScott
Poly is superior for longevity, for sure. Since you will be reselling the car, I would not opt for changing to poly. If the bushings are bad, just use rubber replacements.

mjb765

Reaction score
I have heard great things about Espo, but just FYI..I just got a quote and they are 2-3 months wait on filling orders.

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
ESPO buys there leafs from John R. Spring.

72pistolgrip

Reaction score
Hello, aside from ride better.Did that particular spring give you a higher ride height? I am looking for 1 inch higher than stock on my 72 Challenger.
Thanks in advance

TeeScott

Reaction score
ALL,
Thx for all the advice..I ordered (& received) a set of replacement leaf springs(w front bushings installed), as well as a new set of rear shackles/bolts/bushings from General Spring. They had everything in stock and the total price was ~$420 (along with add'l $95 for shipping and $30 taxes) which seemed pretty reasonable to me. I also ordered a set of Mancini front mounting brackets & bolts for the springs (I saw these referenced on a youtube video), So....onto Sway Bar bushings??
My car has the original rear sway bar offered on Ralleye cars with, what looks like, the original bushings/hardware (see pics). I confirmed the dia. is 19mm(.75") but when searching online, I have not yet been able to find a source for replacement bushings/brackets/hardware. I have found various sources for bushings/hardware for the front sway bar, which is larger and was offered on nearly all the early challengers(I believe?)..
ANYONE know of a parts source to help me restore the rear sway bar components????
THX
TeeScott

IMG_3181.jpg

IMG_3179.jpg

IMG_3178.jpg

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
For all those bushings, I went with rubber ones from PST (see link to the right side while looking at "forums"). The poly ones will last longer, but give a little stiffer ride. I'm fine with replacing them if I have to in a couple dozen years or so. Just my 2 cents.

Back