• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Media blasting material?

CichliDart

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals.
Just opened the trunk of a 70 challenger that has been closed for 20 years and saw the ground through the trunk.
oops.gif

So I need to replace a lot of sheet metal but would like to clean things up by blasting away the rot to find good metal.

Any suggestions as to what media to use?
Any places I can get good prices on the media?

I have a cheap media blast kit and bucket one from harbor freight as well as a soda blaster. Have not used either on yet. Still need to pick up an air filter regulator for moisture control.

I know not to use anything but the soda blaster on sheet metal but would like to get the job done easier in the out of site places like the trunk and underside.

Thank you!
Mike

btceng

Reaction score
I agree with Leo. The shells leave a residue that inhibits rust for a while. I use a fine Black Diamond material a lot. Pick it up at Tractor Supply for about $8 for 50 pound bag. Be sure not to get the course b/c it really pits the metal. I will also say to avoid using the cheap eBay metal panels. Just did my trunk floor with one and it took a lot of extra work to get the fit right. Everyone recommends AMD.

CichliDart

Reaction score
I agree with Leo. The shells leave a residue that inhibits rust for a while. I use a fine Black Diamond material a lot. Pick it up at Tractor Supply for about $8 for 50 pound bag. Be sure not to get the course b/c it really pits the metal. I will also say to avoid using the cheap eBay metal panels. Just did my trunk floor with one and it took a lot of extra work to get the fit right. Everyone recommends AMD.

Thanks for all the help. I just found a Tractor supply about 50 miles from me. Much better prices than any place local to me, well worth the trip. Having some trouble finding a decent price on walnut shell media anywhere. Thank your help on the trunk panels on ebay. I spent about three hours looking on ebay last night and your timing is perfect as I had not pulled the trigger on buying anything yet. I will look at the AMD stuff tonight.

Thanks again!

Mike

CichliDart

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. Went to Tractor suppl and bought a couple hundred pounds of the black diamond. Went to harbor freight and got box of walnut shell media on sale as well as some soda powder.

Think I should go over to some of the restoration forums now and get educated.
Thanks again for the advice.
MIke

btceng

Reaction score
Beware of the residue from the soda. It must be neutralized with water and completely removed from all crevices before a successful paint job can be had. Some of the experts can explain why.

Back