• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

need help with bake pedals!!!!

Reaction score
Ok hears my problem my brake pedal on my automatic 70 challenger sit way to high. I have them springed up cause if they go down then the brake lights come on and even if the spring is off they are set to high. What do i do

burntorange70

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Good to have you here.

There should be a switch for the brake lights on the brake pedal. I am pretty sure it can be ajusted to make the brake light come on with more or less pedal traval.

chasduster

Reaction score
hey welcome...yea burnt is right,,,you have to get on your back with a flash light and look under dash,,,,follow brake pedal up and you will see the switch there...some fine tuning and you will get it,.....and if still can't get it...you can always give me the car:D

ramenth

Reaction score
Welcome aboard.

Think you've gotten your answer. If you adjust the brake light switch it should allow for the pedal to come down.

ramenth

Reaction score
Power brakes? Maybe the rod is adjusted too far out? Like burnt said, pics and more info would be nice.

Just a thought, going sort of randomly here, but is this an original manual car someone did a power swap to? The extra pedal ratio could be the difference here. But again without the info just throwing out ideas.

Reaction score
its an original automaitc 318 car now a 440. i dont think they have ever been tinkered with

ramenth

Reaction score
Manual or power brakes?

What's the condition of the brakes overall?

When you say you have the pedal springed up what do you mean? A spring running to the pedal connected to the dash?

If that's the case, when the spring is off how does the pedal feel? Rock hard? Spongy?

Last edited:

farmboy70

Reaction score
If the pedal bushing is worn the pedal will be loose and not contact the switch head like it should. Something to look at.
Dave

farmboy70

Reaction score
Loosen the bracket on the pedal mount panel (7/16 head bolt) the bracket will slide.
PICT5299.jpg

Last edited:
Back