• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Newer 5.2 in Challenger

IronBagel

Reaction score
So ever since I was a child I've wanted a Challenger and after selling a few rarer motorcycles I had, getting one is finally coming close to within reach. I'll need to do a little more saving and it'll be a long project, but it finally feels like it could happen soon. So my question is this, since it's a budget build how easy would it be to use a used 5.2 (like from a 80's - 90's dodge truck or whatever)? Would it just plop right in seeing as it's still an LA engine? And then my hope was to also use a newer tranny as well like a T56(with a viper bellhousing maybe?) or some sort of NV trans. Either way, just curious as to what problems I'm going to run into using a setup like this. All I want out of the car is to have fun and drive it, so reliability and economy are things to consider.

moparleo

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. It will fit with no problems but that is not all there is to it. You say a budget build but you ask about T56 trans. Why a truck motor ? What is your real question ? Carburated or fuel injection ? If fuel injected you get into computers and special harnesses. How can we help you ?

IronBagel

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. It will fit with no problems but that is not all there is to it. You say a budget build but you ask about T56 trans. Why a truck motor ? What is your real question ? Carburated or fuel injection ? If fuel injected you get into computers and special harnesses. How can we help you ?
I don't necessarily want a truck motor, but a newer 5.2 that I could drop in would be ideal. Also didn't realize how pricey the t56 would be. Basically here is what I'm asking. What is an engine and transmission combo that I can put in without a ton of hassles and won't break the bank? I'm thinking fuel injection and a more modern transmission for maximum driveablity. The only reason I was thinking truck motor is because I know that they can be found in pretty decent shape for cheap.

Tbone416

Reaction score
The T56 will not fit your trans tunnel without a lot of modification nor will a 4 speed overdrive automatic transmission like a A500 or 518. So if you're still trying to stay on a budget 3 speed automatic 727 is probably your best bet. Now on to the motor I like the newer style engines the roller pre magnums and the magnums there are a lot of heads and cams available for these motors and you're pretty bulletproof for Street driving. As long as you're not trying to make 600 horsepower. These are good options. My suggestion to keep the cost down is a 86 360 roller motor with a 308 head and a 4-speed Overdrive transmission. As far as carbureted or fuel injected you can put fuel injection on any motor but it's not cheap. Hope this helps you out good luck.

IronBagel

Reaction score
The T56 will not fit your trans tunnel without a lot of modification nor will a 4 speed overdrive automatic transmission like a A500 or 518. So if you're still trying to stay on a budget 3 speed automatic 727 is probably your best bet. Now on to the motor I like the newer style engines the roller pre magnums and the magnums there are a lot of heads and cams available for these motors and you're pretty bulletproof for Street driving. As long as you're not trying to make 600 horsepower. These are good options. My suggestion to keep the cost down is a 86 360 roller motor with a 308 head and a 4-speed Overdrive transmission. As far as carbureted or fuel injected you can put fuel injection on any motor but it's not cheap. Hope this helps you out good luck.
Thank you! This is what I was looking for, also do I have more options if I want a manual trans?

rolling_thunder

Reaction score
options for a manual transmission are pretty much

- A833: original 4-speed... bolt in deal
- T-56: lots of fab on the tunnel and expensive
- TKO: Less fab on transmission tunnel and still expensive
- T-5: Not common swap - light duty and not sure of trans tunnel mods
- T-45: Non removable bellhousing prohibits swaps

Automatics:

- 727 / 904: OE transmissions - direct swaps
- A500 / A518: Automatic overdrives - search this site for threads lots of info
- 4L60E: GM trans - bellhousing needed, minor tunnel mods, needs TCM