• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Newer Challenger Advice

One of few

Reaction score
Winter, More Winter, Still Winter and Road Repair Season! 😀
Just think - one day AI will take over, and most State jobs will be on the dumb end of a shovel, following a dump truck full of hot patch. Followed by 9 months of winter…..lol

terrywalker

Reaction score
I thought I'd add to this conversation. My 2015 R/T 5.7 with auto transmission MDS-VVT and has about 70K plus miles on it. No lifter tic yet but I do have the extended warranty. On trips, the car is very comfortable. I do not have a lead foot but my wife does. Around town with me driving, around 20mpg. On the road, we average 27 to 29 mpg depending on who does most of the driving. Great car with only three problems so far. Back -up camera acts ups sporadically. Once had a #7 cylinder misfire which went away. I once had the gas pedal stick to the floor while going 70mph in cruise control. It was a t 100mph so quick before I figured out how to get it to slow down - I kept hitting the SET(-) button on cruise control on steering wheel until it was down to 40mph and the gas pedal was still stuck to the floor. I then turned off cruise control and braked to the shoulder of the interstate and turned off the engine. With the pedal stuck to the floor, I could not restart engine. After about 5 minutes, there was a loud pop sound and the gas pedal popped up. I restarted the car and drove to the Dodge dealer. They couldn't figure out what happened. I was glad it was me driving it and not my wife or a grandkid as it would have been panic. Only happened once. Great car otherwise. I'll add a couple of photos showing my gas mileage for a couple of trips. I was almost 4,700 miles into the one trip and it had averaged 29 mpg to that point. Sorry the photo isn't the greatest. I was driving and trying to snap a pic at 70mph. The other trip was shorter but with more overall miles on the car and it got 28 mpg.
Terry W.

20160920_171057 (Medium).jpg

March 2021 Utah Trip.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
I thought I'd add to this conversation. My 2015 R/T 5.7 with auto transmission MDS-VVT and has about 70K plus miles on it. No lifter tic yet but I do have the extended warranty. On trips, the car is very comfortable. I do not have a lead foot but my wife does. Around town with me driving, around 20mpg. On the road, we average 27 to 29 mpg depending on who does most of the driving. Great car with only three problems so far. Back -up camera acts ups sporadically. Once had a #7 cylinder misfire which went away. I once had the gas pedal stick to the floor while going 70mph in cruise control. It was a t 100mph so quick before I figured out how to get it to slow down - I kept hitting the SET(-) button on cruise control on steering wheel until it was down to 40mph and the gas pedal was still stuck to the floor. I then turned off cruise control and braked to the shoulder of the interstate and turned off the engine. With the pedal stuck to the floor, I could not restart engine. After about 5 minutes, there was a loud pop sound and the gas pedal popped up. I restarted the car and drove to the Dodge dealer. They couldn't figure out what happened. I was glad it was me driving it and not my wife or a grandkid as it would have been panic. Only happened once. Great car otherwise. I'll add a couple of photos showing my gas mileage for a couple of trips. I was almost 4,700 miles into the one trip and it had averaged 29 mpg to that point. Sorry the photo isn't the greatest. I was driving and trying to snap a pic at 70mph. The other trip was shorter but with more overall miles on the car and it got 28 mpg.
Terry W.

View attachment 122694

View attachment 122695
That's great mileage with the 5.7
Glad you got it under control after that incident. I'd be a little goosie to get behind the wheel again.

terrywalker

Reaction score
As a side note. When I got to the dealership, they asked me what messages were showing on the instrument panel. I said I saw there were messages on the instrument panel but at over 100mph, I was trying to avoid other vehicles and gain control of the speed. I pushed the button to turn off the engine but it wouldn't allow the engine to shut off. I believe I tried to put transmission in Neutral but it wouldn't move out of Drive position. Maybe electrical interlocks? Anyway, I'm just glad it was me in the driver's seat and no one else was with me. I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else, especially a less experienced driver. I still like the car and enjoy travelling in it.
Terry W.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score

terrywalker, Throttle Was it changed to a cable?​

Returning to the base about 4 am. Got off turnpike after driving about 5hrs at about 65. Speed limit then 55 RIGHT. In a cool 35 degrees. It was a two lane road no street lights, that in a few miles came to a T stop 5-10 mi. Going about the speed limit. Knew the stop sign was coming up, started slowing down about a 1/4 mile before. Noticed it was revving high. Down shifted,work the throttle while clutch in. To no avail had to turn off ignition and brake to panic stop right before the stop sign. Good thing headlight were not through the ignition like some today. Got to the shoulder sat there for a few seconds in bewilderment.​

Stated up and revved right up. So in Complete dankness, no flash light or match.didn't smoke. Oh yeah didn't have a cell phone. Didn't smell gas. Took air cleaner off and in the darkness felt nothing wrong. Wish there was an under hood light then. GM had one on a reel if I recall.​

So put it all back together it fired up and away I went. Check it a few days latter when I had a chance.​

The only thing I could come up with is that carburetor was icing up. More air going though the primers more cooling. When up to speed no real need for the four barrel to kick in and make more heat. I would get 20mpg. just less than a tank to get to base.

Last edited:

terrywalker

Reaction score

terrywalker, Throttle Was it changed to a cable?​

Returning to the base about 4 am. Got off turnpike after driving about 5hrs at about 65. Speed limit then 55 RIGHT. In a cool 35 degrees. It was a two lane road no street lights, that in a few miles came to a T stop 5-10 mi. Going about the speed limit. Knew the stop sign was coming up, started slowing down about a 1/4 mile before. Noticed it was revving high. Down shifted,work the throttle while clutch in. To no avail had to turn off ignition and brake to panic stop right before the stop sign. Good thing headlight were not through the ignition like some today. Got to the shoulder sat there for a few seconds in bewilderment.​

Stated up and revved right up. So in Complete dankness, no flash light or match.didn't smoke. Oh yeah didn't have a cell phone. Didn't smell gas. Took air cleaner off and in the darkness felt nothing wrong. Wish there was an under hood light then. GM had one on a reel if I recall.​

So put it all back together it fired up and away I went. Check it a few days latter when I had a chance.​

The only thing I could come up with is that carburetor was icing up. More air going though the primers more cooling. When up to speed no real need for the four barrel to kick in and make more heat. I would get 20mpg. just less than a tank to get to base.
What happened to me was in my 2015 Challenger. Dealer told me what may have happened was something with the cruise control and throttle cable. They found nothing wrong. The dealer said there was one other reported incident just like mine on a newer Challenger and no solution on that one either. I knew the cruise was on when I gave it a little throttle to get into another lane. It went to the floor on its own. Anyways, it hasn't happened again and I highly recommend the newer Challengers. My wife really likes to drive it. She has a very heavy foot. I'm glad I didn't get the ScatPack.
Terry Walker

Xcudame

Reaction score
Terry, thank you for the great input. And I imagine it would be very scary to have the gas pedal stick and accelerating! Especially since the gas pedal switched from a mechanical link to "drive by wire" in the newer vehicles!

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
A few scenarios that might be the cause. I could be way off the mark.
1st Is the situation that I had. My 340 has a cable with dual spring return. When I had the trouble and inspected (In the dark) the cable and linkage, choke all felt free and not hanging up. Heat tube from manifold all stock components.Cause? Air cleaner thermostat not working correctly? Allowing Icing in the carburetor or linkage. As mentioned was not driving hard but at a rapid rate on a cool night. Not enough heat in the intake cross over?
2nd Your cruse cable hanging up? A possibility but, I don't think so from what you described when trying to disengage and gain control. I would have to summarize it to be electrical in nature.
3rd "Dealer told me what may have happened was something with the cruise control and throttle cable." Reading that it imply s there is a mechanical connection. I I would concur with the dealers findings. Cruse control not responding and controlling speed.
4th However If it would be drive by wire that would be a different. Being in the USN as an electrician also had to be versed with the IC Inter Communications. Telemetry,sound power phone,Gyro operations and others. To be clear. I would have to study the diagram of the components in question. To say for certain just what happened.
To keep it simple I will use simple term that my not be correct but understandable.
An example would be a light in a house with a dimmer sw. Turn it up it gets brighter turn it down it gets dimmer. This is how I'm thinking the accelerator pedal works. Drive by wire no mechanical connection. This would not move the accelerator.
There is a gyro aboard a ship that greats a signal. The signal is transmuted to multiple stations. Each station has a motor that will read and mimic the gyro. This is kind of one type of drive by wire if you will. The other electro mechanical device that would move the accelerator would be a solenoid. It is on or off. This would move the accelerator.
"It went to the floor on its own" That's would happen if it was cable or a servo motor. Also "gas pedal stick to the floor while going 70mph in cruise control." Cruse would hold it there.
From what you described. The brake sw should have turned off the cruise same as the -set button and the engine stop.
This is why I was asking drive by wire or cable.

From experience on other cars with computers the computer needs a ground for all components to function. No ground no response. A ground is even more critical on a newer car.
I do think there ia a kit to go from drive by wire to cable.

plymouth67

Reaction score
We have a 2017 Scat Pack. It has the 392. It has around 40,000 miles on it and we absolutely love it. The car is very comfortable and has plenty of power. The tick is caused by lack of oil to the lifters. The MDS motors are the most susceptible to this. That leads me to believe it has to do with the way they "control" the oil to lifters to cycle the MDS. Anyways, if you put the Challenger in sport mode it shuts off the MDS so, ours is always in sport mode. The only issue we have had is the screen on the radio delaminated so, they replaced for free and, the Brembo brakes are very squeaky. I would buy this car over and over again.
54637.jpeg

Xcudame

Reaction score
Plymouth67, thank you for your testimony! This is the kind of stuff I was looking for. And he's seriously looking into a 2015 - 2017 Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392 hemi. They're not any more than a 2021 or 2022 Challenger R/T with the 345 hemi.

plymouth67

Reaction score
Plymouth67, thank you for your testimony! This is the kind of stuff I was looking for. And he's seriously looking into a 2015 - 2017 Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392 hemi. They're not any more than a 2021 or 2022 Challenger R/T with the 345 hemi.
We have a Grand Cherokee with 5.7 and my Ram Rebel has a 5.7. Nothing wrong with 5.7 but the 6.4 is a totally different animal...in a very good way..lol

plymouth67

Reaction score

plymouth67

Reaction score

Xcudame

Reaction score
The wife's 300c 5.7 hemi hasn't had any issues either. That's because we bought the lifetime replacement warranty for it! So it'll last forever. 😀

Xcudame

Reaction score
OK, after literally spending all day yesterday with the trip there and back and time buying the car, my son wound up with a 2015 Challenger R/T Scat Pack! Redline Red Triple Pearl Coat with 20x9" black matte painted aluminum wheels (which are pretty rare and expensive!). 51,100 miles, no scratches and never in a wreck! I want to think all of you again for your advice testimonies and encouragement! We took some pics of his 2015 and my 1970!

IMG_20240421_113830771.jpg

IMG_20240421_113723764.jpg

IMG_20240420_180434102_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240421_113715635.jpg

IMG_20240421_113345250.jpg

IMG_20240420_180411327_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240421_113240663.jpg

heminut

Reaction score
My wife has the 20" wheels on her car. Tell your son to stay WAY away from the curbs! They WILL chew up the edges of those wheels!

Xcudame

Reaction score
He realizes what he's bought with his hard earned money! He's already pampering the thing, except when he blew by me on the freeway this morning when we were both going to get gasoline! LOL!

Xcudame

Reaction score
My poor old Challenger needs some sheet metal work! Good thing the kid is getting his welding certificates! With 250,000+ miles and being 54 years old, she still runs strong! She was barking the tires on the first to second upshift of the old 727 automatic!

Back